Friday, April 25, 2008

Financial wranglings

I am basically in love with Turbo tax, the IRS, and Meichelle. Plus, also, I am really grateful to God.
I had answered the series of questions put to me by TurboTax in growing delight at the number in the top left hand corner. As you answer question on this thing, it tracks your refund for you at the top of the screen. So, the number grows or shrinks depending on the information you feed it. Cool. I was expecting a large refund.

So, Kara came over and happened to glance at my computer screen. She got a puzzled look on her face.
"When the number is in Red, that means you owe Them," Kara informed me.
Which hadn't occurred to me.

At a moment like that, a girl has two choices. Drink heavily and chew on her nails. Or, chose to trust. God can provide in one situation just as well as in another, after all. I chose the later.
Then, I called Meichelle.
Meichelle-my-belle, whom I love with all my heart, is an accountant. She turned that frown upside down, and also that number from red to green. Then she doubled it.

Which? Shopping!
I took an honest look at my debt. Met it square in the eye. I wrote out the numbers. Figured what I could pay off. Then, I bought a computer. Sensible, no?
It's not for me.
It's for D'. My 11-year-old has better technology than me.
My second born so often gets hand-me-downs. He gets the backseat. His big brother is involved in so many things, and has such well-defined interests, that D' seems somehow overlooked.
I am so excited for him! This is a gift that totally surprised and thrilled him.
I told D' that there is a reason he got such a gift, and a purpose for such a gift.
The reason he got it is that he is such a hard worker. This is the child most likely to have a clean room. He contributes so much, and exhibits such gratefulness.
The use for it is, of course, educational. D' has often struggled to learn by conventional means. I had him tested, a couple years ago, by someone who was in a position to help. She made a number of suggestions to me, one of which was a two thousand dollar program (I don't think so). Another suggestion was a trampoline, which I bought with last year's tax return. And a computer. Apparently kids who struggle as D' does learn very well through electronic means. So, we're going to give it a try.
Anyway, the laptop was on clearance, and was cheaper than a desktop.
I still have enough tax return to sweep away a vast portion of my debt.
And then I will be broke again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

and MEXICO!!!

whoohoo!

Anonymous said...

Was the trampoline some sort of training method, or just a fun thing?
Dad

Kelly said...

The trampoline is some brain stimuli as one jumps. It was all technical and important, and also great excercise.