So, I go to this class on Tuesdays. It's a class on Ecclesiastes, from the bible.
My teacher was talking about how we have all these needs, as humans. Food. Water. Friendship. Companionship. You-know-what. "Pedicures" was not on the list, oddly enough. I've had two pedicures in the past 10 years. You-know-what? Not so much.
He was talking about how God put these needs in us. How people over-compensate. Like when folks are thirsty, and their bodies need water, but they eat instead. Or how friendless people get promiscuous.
I've heard diet gurus talk about this, but I never gave it much thought. It seems to me that I should have pated attention.
Personally, I eat to make up for pretty much everything.
Unless I'm drinking to make up for it.
Or shopping.
Or applying eye make-up.
Mostly, over-compensating is a life style for me.
I was struck by the realization that nothing is supposed to make up for anything else. No food? Well, then, water is not going to help for long. No man? Chocolate is an unsatisfying substitute. You can try for a while, but at the end of the day, the basic need is still left empty. The hollow spot is still hollow, and it must be dealt with as it is.
For some bizarre reason, this was really comforting.
The reason I would like a man is that I don't have one. Super strong Christian-ness ain't gonna change that. It just is.
God takes us with those gaping holes in our selves. He teaches us to function as handicapped people. We all are handicapped.Once I recognize that in myself, it's sure easier to appreciate it in someone else.
If you tell me that you are fully fulfilled, I'll know you are a liar, and I'll figure that's your Handicap sticker.
Handicapped Parking, My friend, right next to me.
3 comments:
I am blonde, left-handed, AND Polish. I get TWO handicapped spots. hahah
Lynda, that sounds like 3 to me!
Kelly, I'm so glad you posted on my site!!! You've been added to my favorites and I'll be back frequently! (threat and promise! :^) )
Post a Comment