Friday, May 16, 2008

Bring on the Sun

It occurred to me that the best possible way to avoid a sunburn, short of donning sunscreen, is to earn a respectable base tan. So yesterday, in defiance of the growing twin mountains of laundry and dishes, I went to the trampoline. This is my new tanning bed. I cooked each side for about 20 minutes, like we used to do in high school, but without the baby oil.

I bought swimwear from Land's End. They had this large discount on last year's colors, so I got on their site, made up a virtual model, and tried on bikinis. My virtual model looks great in bikinis. If something bubbled over a little much, or appeared the least bit unattractive, I could alter my proportions with a click of the mouse. You really need to do this. It's a splendid way to whittle away an afternoon. You can even make yourself "younger" or more "mature." No one wants to be more mature in that context.
The swimwear looks different on me than it did on my altered virtual model. The honest cyber-me, though was cringingly accurate. I am a big believer in expensive swimwear, which I cannot afford. When you get it on sale, though, that's the way to go. Land's End is really the best. And they don't even pay me to say that.

So, there I was on the trampoline, cooking. And? I got a little pink. Not a burn, really. Not an invitation to cancer. Just slightly overdone. Right? Tell me I am not going to die.

Last night, I stood in the sun some more to cheer on my son's lacrosse game. It was the first game in the championship tournament. They won. They play again tonight. I am going to cry when Lacrosse is over. It's my new favorite sport. Standing in the sun for yet another hour without sunscreen caused my face to increase in pinkness. I am going to die, aren't I? I had the sense to rub a little SPF 30 on my shoulders.

Also, tonight: I am off to hear Beth Moore speak. No idea what she's speaking on, but I get to go hang out with my Mother and Kara's Mother at this weekend conference. Beth could discuss ocean currents for all I care, I am just excited to hang out with the Mothers. It's like being invited to the Grownup's table. Actually, I have done a couple of Beth Moore's studys, so I am very interested to hear what she teaches on this weekend.

Oh, and another random topic:
I went out and rented Dan In Real Life, because Cathy said to. The main thing that stood out to me in this story, was that Dan was so alone. There's this whole single adult thing that happens if you become unwillingly single-again. Dan would be hanging out with his extended family, and then everyone would wander away in groups or in couples, and he was always left standing, a little awkwardly, all by himself. This is such a poignant picture of one of the most difficult things about being single. After years of being connected, one becomes a fragment. It's quite dizzying at first, but it is survivable. Anyway, the movie has a happy ending, so there you go.

You need to have a fantastic weekend. Because I said so.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's better to be lonely and single, than lonely and married.

it's better to be white and cancer free than tanned and on chemo

Anonymous said...

I agree on both counts. But then I tan fairly easily, although I still use sunscreen.

Have fun at the grownup table!

Cathy said...

I'm so glad you rented it! Didn't you love it? And didn't it make you want to have all sorts of extended family gatherings and play football and bring up all your private jokes...?

I'd rather watch Dan in Real Life any day than go to a women's conference. I'm very anti-women's-conference. Did you know that about me?

Hope you had fun.

Don't you know that you're going to get all wrinkly from laying out in the sun? Wrinkles are BAD! (Not to mention cancer...) Although I'm being quite the hypocrite, because I was just admiring my little tan from being out in the sun in my yard all day.

And that's all I have to say right now.

Kelly said...

Hi Cathy!
I hate women's conferences,too. My mother made me go, and I am so glad that she did. I learned a ton.

In the movie, I loved the family-ness. The lonely singleness part made me feel very sad, though. It hits very close to home. The happy ending left me sizing up my sister's boyfriends. (Just kidding)