Wednesday, May 14, 2008

'Til death do us part

Why are children born with no desire at all to earn their keep?

I am in possession of two such, who act in aversion to chores. They do not see the milk spilled on the table, or the cereal they left on the counter. They believe, with conviction, that the clothes on their bathroom floor enhance the decor. These young men know of a certainty that it is Mother's job to do... everything at all.

I went to the shower this morning with a parting command to them to eat breakfast, make their beds, and unload the dishwasher. When I emerged, who was sitting on the trampoline leisurely soaking in the sun?

"Did you boys eat?"

They slowly swiveled their lazy heads my way, and looked as thought the idea of a meal had not crossed their minds. "Not yet," they answered in unison.

"Has the dishwasher been unloaded?"

"Oh," M' said, "I forgot."

"Beds?" Said I, "Have either of you made your beds?"

These two didn't even have the sense to look ashamed. They clambered off of the trampoline and made their way in to the house, where, Right This Moment, I can hear them wrestling in the hallway.

Homicide or Suicide? This is the burning question de jour.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are little cretans. Our job is to whip them (into shape)!

I vote homicide. You can always do yourelf in later on if you need to!

Anonymous said...

Aliens have taken over their minds and you will have to wait a few year, or decades, until the aliens have totally sucked up all the useful matter from their brains, then they will come around, maybe!
Then they will be married, maybe, and be some other woman's problem. Just relax, time will change things.
Dad
(or not!)