When I point out for someone how God has used them, I often get the sense that this makes folks uncomfortable. Heck, it makes me uncomfortable. This comes from an honest desire, I think, to give God the credit He deserves, and also to keep one's self humble.
Sometimes, most times, it results in a failure to receive a compliment. Christians need to learn how to receive a compliment correctly.
Imagine this conversation, if you will:
"Kelly, you are a fantastic teacher, and God has totally used you in my life."
"I didn't do anything! God is so good!"
That is the common and acceptable thing to say where I come from. It sounds humble. But in my head, I am trying to block out any pride. I end up blocking out all that might be useful from the information bestowed upon me.
Here's another response to the same compliment:
"Yeah, I am pretty cool, huh? Let me teach you something else..."
I don't know anyone who would really respond with those words, but I have sometimes displayed such false humility that is barely masking that exact sentiment. I sometimes mean to be really smart, and to WOW those around me, so I get very proud of my success. Irritating, no?
What if the correct response were something completely different?
"Kelly, you are a fantastic teacher, and God has totally used you in my life."
"Thank you for the compliment. God did give me this gift, and I am so thankful for it. I want to be a good steward of it, so I am really encouraged to hear that you have been helped by it. How are you using your gifts to help others?"
(The whole conference this weekend was dealing with the stewardship of spiritual gifts. Beth Moore is a total riot and I found her to be very endearing. She is a total spaz. And she obviously is remarkably gifted by God to do what she does. She sure got me thinking about all of this.)
When I receive a compliment about how God has used me, I need to listen up. The fact that God has used me, likely points to my spiritual giftedness. I need to be aware of that, because God tells me not to be ignorant of it, and He is going to hold me accountable for how I have (or have not) used it.
Understanding what my gift is, and how it gets used in the lives of others, allows me to think truthfully, and to apply my energies to faithfully working it out in the future. This can make me both more grateful, and more effective.
I wonder, too, if those moments of acknowledgement ought to turn our thoughts toward Heaven? You see, God tells me that He will reward me for the things I've done well. He will recognize my obedience, and my good works (such as they are). So, recognition and appreciation are not bad things in and of themselves. It's what we allow these compliments to do to our minds and hearts.
We should allow compliments to inspire us to think truthfully, to be better stewards of the gifting within us, and to turn our anticipation toward Heaven.
Whew!
What is your gift? Are you using it like you ought to? I don't know about you, but I have some work to do.
1 comment:
Good word! And I've been blessed by your gift!! LOL!
Post a Comment