Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Commentary

I've decided that I want to marry Joshua, from the bible.
How old would he be now? I have always preferred older men.
David would be good, too, only he has too many wives already. I'd get lost in the shuffle.

The book of Joshua is our latest group endeavor in house church. Sometimes I am tempted to think of this particular book in terms of a flannel board, but I am finding that there is a great deal which challenges me.
The fifth chapter is where I camped out this morning, reading and thinking.

The chapter opens with an invitation from God to use flint knives on adult men to preform the ceremony of circumcision. I have a hard time imagining that these guys embraced that idea. Raise your hand if you want someone wielding a flint knife down there.
Anyone?
And why would God have them thus incapacitated so near their enemies? It's another exercise in trust for them, because it's not exactly a battle-savvy move. It left them entirely vulnerable, and they had to be convinced that God was protecting them. I wonder if anyone died from the complications? I wonder if anyone refused to participate? For the moment, it seems, this is a nation united in obedience.

Next thing they do is kill a lamb, rather, lots of lambs, and celebrate the feast of Passover. God instituted this as a permanent reminder of their deliverance from Egypt. Why don't I celebrate Passover every year, then?
Who wants to raise sheep?
The nation of Israel has finally arrived at their Promised destination, and God has them play out the Passover reminder of the beginning of their journey. I'll bet this was a festival of mixed emotions. There's all the joy of arriving at the new land, but looking back had to be bittersweet. So many of their loved ones had died on the way. They must have thought of that first fateful night back in Egypt, and all the loved ones who had been spared the Judgement of the Firstborn, only to die in the 40 years of wandering.
Sobering reminder.

The next day, the manna ceased. Did you see the Veggie Tales movie where they are all excited to finally eat something new, like souffle? That was a great little film. I never get to see Veggie Tales anymore. I need to look into that.
No more manna. That had to be a shocking realization that everything had changed. I wonder how they felt about that. Life as they knew it had altered completely, and there was no turning back.

Then we come to the thing that made me want to marry Joshua. He was a formidable warrior and a godly man. Love that.
This is the only place I can think of in Scripture where someone is confronted by an angel without fear. You've got this big ol' angel dude, with his sword drawn, and Joshua marches right up to the guy.
"Are you for us, or against us?" He demands.
Once He is told that this is, in fact, the leader of God's army (interesting that Joshua likely had thought of himself in that capacity), he hits the ground in subservience. His response is immediate worship, and submission. This is a mighty warrior who understands leadership, and submission. What a heart he must have had.
I gotta get me one of those.

And so, I am finding that the book of Joshua is giving me a great deal to think about. God included these stories because He wants me to understand the historical background. He also intends that my life be altered, my faith stretched. The truths can be applied to my situation, like a salve that heals and strengthens. Funny that a flannel board story can reverberate through the ages to transform the heart and mind of a 21st century blogger.

1 comment:

KJP said...

Da Bunny, da Bunny, oh I love the Bunny....