Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Great Expectations

Joshua 10 is this morning's text.
Joshua leads the Israelite army on this all night march to war. God then pummels the enemy army with killer hailstones. Finally, the sun and moon stand still in the sky, to grant Israel extra time to defeat the enemy. All-in-all, it sounds like a really long day. One of the great miracles, is that these men had the stamina to keep going, through this exceptionally long battle.
How is it that all this miraculous activity is squeezed into the confines of one chapter?

Here I sit in my air conditioned home, comfortably poised on the receiving end of the 21st Century, and I wonder why my faith is so small.

There seems to be a pattern as I look at the defining moments in Joshua's life.
The greatest achievements,
the mind-blowing miracles,
the truly effective leadership,
All these come after consulting God and then doing things God's way.
The pattern is Prayer, Listening, Obedience.

Too often I Plan, Inform, and Proceed. I figure out what I want to get done, tell God what I am going to do, and assume that He'll follow along, as a puppy at my heel. Seeking His blessing is an afterthought to adorn my agenda.

I am in the service of the King. His Directives are my highest priority. Besides that, what can I possible have of importance? I must report for duty every morning to receive the day's marching orders. I must carefully consider His Words. Then I need to set out, and diligently do what I've been told to do. This is the recipe for a life laced with Miracles.

If He sends me on a wearisome all night march, I know that He must supply the strength.
If He sends me against a greater foe, I must fight well until He sees fit to rain His solution from Heaven.
If He gives me more than can be done in one day, I can trust Him to arrest the sun in her path.
These are the things my God can do...and more.

May I quote from Shakespeare?

"And when she is froward, peevish, sullen, sour,
And not obedient to his honest will,
What is she but a foul contending rebel
And graceless traitor to her loving lord?
I am ashamed that women are so simple
To offer war where they should kneel for peace;
Or seek for rule, supremacy and sway,
When they are bound to serve, love and obey."

"...my hand is ready; may it do him ease."

Amen.

No comments: