Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Johanna Banana Fee Fie Fo Fanna

Since I haven't posted quite enough yet today:

Johanna and I had a lovely conversation.
She and I have differing views on Politics, religion, modern morality....pretty much everything, except fashion. Yet, we have rarely had a conversation that bore an edge of tension. She is so tolerant in extending me grace. She is the one who kindly educates me on things I can't really ask others about, and she doesn't ever seem offended.
Why don't young people want to get married anymore?
Why does everyone embrace homosexuality?
How come this generation doesn't see God as relevant?


She must think me a bit sheltered, and primeval, but she never answers me with judgement for my questions.
And I learn a great deal from her.
The people I surround myself with so often think just like me on these matters. I need to be stretched. To understand those outside of my circle.
I don't need to agree with someone to understand them. I don't need to convert someone to my way of thinking to love them. I do need to listen.
God loves these people so much, the sexually open sort, and the politically liberal, and the right winged fundamentalists. All of them have intrinsic value, and all of them were Created with purpose. For me to love them, I need to pay attention to them, and not just to preach. I need to understand.
Jo has a real gift for communicating that to me. She also has a real gift for loving this old cousin of hers with provincial viewpoints. I want to be more like her.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

I must say, I have a remarkable sister.

Kelly said...

You do, sweet cousin; and so does she!
Love you, Jenn

Anonymous said...

Kelly Dearest-
I must say that you are much to good to me! It is you who stretch and challenge me into thinking that God and morals are relevant! Not a conversation goes by that I am not inspired by your wisdom, kindness and courage in facing the world head-on, living and growing with intention and your beautiful flare for experiencing each moment with depth and passion.
Every moment that I get to spend with (or just talking) to you is a gift from God, who loves and delights in diversity!
You Dearest Cousin of My Heart, are the remarkable woman!

Anonymous said...

Jenn,
you can take full credit for any remarkable attributes that may be found in my character......after all I learned them all from you!
I love you Sweetest Sister!