Yesterday, when I wrote to you about stillness, was the calm before a bit of a personal storm. Isn't that how it goes?
M' was due home from his days of bear hunting last night. The itinerary said that his group was leaving camp at noon, and would return home between 8 and 9 pm. I sat in the living room with my book and a blanket awaiting his triumphant return. He did not arrive by 9. He did not arrive by 11. By midnight, I was nervous.
Obviously, they must be running late.
Perhaps they got a bear at the last minute and were delayed with that. I shouldn't over-react, after all, he was in good hands. Besides, they had no cell phone coverage in the woods.
By 1:30, I was in tears.
Once, when I was 5, I had to walk home to the house of a babysitter. I lost my way, and sat on the curb in bewildered tears. I knew I couldn't walk back to the school, but didn't know which was the way to the house. I was afraid of getting in trouble, and I was so scared of being lost.
This is exactly how I felt by 1:30 am last night.
There's few things worse than an hysterical, over-protective mother, especially to a teenage young man. We mustn't overreact.
I kept telling myself that he must be fine, and I should relax and go to bed. Or perhaps I got his arrival day wrong.
At 2, I called non-emergency police dispatch, just to see if there had been an accident. "Nope, lady, I'm sure he'll be home soon." I called the sheriff's department up in Northern Idaho. No reports. I called the hunting lodge, and got an answering service.
He must have been in a car wreck. Or had a remote hunting accident. FIVE HOURS late!But there was nothing I could do until morning. I tell you truly that I have rarely felt so utterly alone and so completely helpless.
I crawled into bed at 2:30, and cried until I couldn't breathe. My very eyelids felt as if they were in danger of turning inside-out.
Perhaps I dozed.
The phone jolted me back to the unpleasant reality at 3:30. M' was calling, he was 2 hours away. They just got cell service. Why was I worried? Apparently, that was somewhat amusing. We lost the cell, and dropped the call.
The adult in charge called a few minutes later. "We decided to hunt more tonight, had no cell service, we'll have him home soon, and hour and a half, maybe 2."
Anger took me. How irresponsible! All the land lines for 500 miles were out of order? What?
At some point I dozed again, because he woke me when he traipsed in at 5:30. "Are you ok, mom? I told him we needed to call you." He told me his adventures for an hour. Then I sent him to bed.
Daycare kids arrived at 6:30. I gave them pillows and blankets and the couches in the living room. "Wake me by 8:30, if I am not awake by then."
I got two good hours of sleep.
My boy is home.
He got no bear, but a promise to go again in the Fall. I can hardly wait.
4 comments:
Oh dear.
I'm so sorry. Those are the worst times as a mom or a wife, when someone is late...
Frankly, I'd be having a serious discussion with whomever was supposed to be the responsible adult. That is SO unconsiderate. What did they expect - that you would assume the best? Seriously. What mother is going to figure her son is just spending one more evening hunting when there are car wrecks and gun accidents to be imagined?
I'm praying for amazing strength to get through your day. I think M. should be babysitting for you so you can take a nap.
Love you, friend.
Not only did I nap, but both of my children did, too. Then we went to bed at a reasonable hour. In fact, now I am feeling quite energized!
I remember once when I was like 15, Jenn and I had gone to a friends house to watch a movie. When we got home around 1am, and noticed that our parents weren't home we became slighly alarmed. By 2:30 we were in a panic and sat down together to make a step-by-step plan of action for the next morning....you know, which relative to call first, how to get ahold of hospitals, etc etc etc. We imagined all of the horrible thigs that could happen to parents out in the middle of the night- have one to many drinks and crashed the car, or fell into the gutter or got kidnapped and were currently being tortured aboard a ship destined for timbuktu...the usual things. Anyway, when my parents finally arrived home at 4:30am from a calm evening of card playing with friends their two teenagers had quite an earful waiting for them. We set rules. We laid down the law... talk about role reversal!
p.s. you know how much my dad drinks and how very likly he is to be so drunk he cannot drive and falls into the gutter. I swear to goodness we considered the option. Oh, the irresponsibility of parents!
I'm sorry you worried about M. I think it truely is one of the more horrible feelings in life, anxiety about the well-being of those we love best in the world.
I'm glad he is well.
I love you all dearly....J
Probably a Valium washed down with a gin and tonic would stave off the knowledge of when he actually does come home!
On the other hand, I would be finding him a more responsible hunting partner. If gin and tonic are not your thing...
kjp
Post a Comment