Saturday, July 19, 2008

On the subject of Time

Where do you spend your time; the past, the present, or the future?
This was a question put to the main character from The Shack. I'm still thinking about that book. Have you read it yet?


My mind is spent most often in the Future. I am always getting ahead of myself. Either I am wishing for the future, or worrying about it. I am ever missing out on the moment, because of straining ahead to uncertainty.

One of my friends indicated that she gets stuck in her past. This had not really occurred to me as an option. My past is fascinating, and I enjoy the stories, but I don't ever feel like dwelling there. I can see how the past could hold one captive, though. It's a strong restraint.

Neither of those options is productive, really. We ought to be living fully in the present. The past is already set in stone, and the future is an indefinite fog. Exerting our force in either area is a waste of energy, which depletes and distracts us.

It's like wresting with Granite, or wrestling with Mist.

Both scenarios have me fighting against something that doesn't fight back. It's a lonely battle, and quite silly.

But to engage today!
This moment is a viable reality. My energy applied here can make an impact which resounds through the ages, past and present! Yesterday's regrets can be transformed into powerful motivators, and dynamic tools. Tomorrow's possibilities can help focus my choices and determination.

The Granite becomes a monument to beauty. You see, even those painful regrets become an alter on which we can sacrifice our failure to the One Who spins all into His Ultimate Plan. Your regret is not your shame, it is your very effectiveness.

The Mist becomes Brigadoon, a wonderland beyond your wildest dreams. Those indefinite fears dissipate, as the Master Storyteller reveals your tomorrows in His Own Timeline. When today is fully embraced, tomorrow is a natural spinning out of it. My choices today, have everything to do with who I will be tomorrow.

I shall remember yesterday,
so that I can apply what I've leaned, to be more effective today,
so My tomorrow will be all the more submitted
to He Who Holds the Ages in the Palm of His Hand.
Amen?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
You are correct. We can't do anything to effect the past, and the only way we can effect the future is by doing something
significant in the present.
If we are paying attention to the past or future, we are not able to live in the present, thus having a purposeful effect on nothing!
Love you all,
Dad

KJP said...

I try to live in the present, learning from the past and really not worrying in the least about the future. Of course sometimes I don't do so well on holding the line...

Saw your format change. Hang in there kid...

Anonymous said...

Another one that gets a star in my Google Reader... very on target. I needed to heat it, today.

Thanks!