Saturday, May 13, 2017

Solitude

I was describing, for Tim, the relaxing nature of an echocardiogram. This was in anticipation of my scheduled appointment for just such a procedure this morning. One is compelled to recline, shirtless, in a dimly lighted room with an attendant rubbing lubricant into one's chest. It is quite relaxing, if one isn't terribly modest.
The woman who ran my echocardiogram was kind and chatty. She has a son who has struggled with addiction for years, and so we had a common topic to discuss as she unearthed the hidden mysteries of my heart. Literally, as well as figuratively.
My heart is very strong, evidently. Literally. Figuratively it's kind of touch-and-go. You know how it gets, what with the prison, the drug scene, a daughter going off to college and the one high school freshman still needing all the parenting. It's a wonder my heart beats as often as it does.

No one is around today and I have the house to myself. It's pure bliss. Alone time is a treat that can not be overstated. This could be the reason that I eagerly anticipate various medical tests. In addition to the actual appointment, I get the bonus personal space afforded me in the waiting room. There's nothing like the quiet time before a doctor's appointment for getting a gal into her happy place.

Alone time is also the primary reason I run. Running makes my heart strong, clearly, but it also contributes to my ability to abstain from homicide as often as I do.
Most people wouldn't dream of going for a run with me. If I plop down in the living room with a cup of tea and a thick novel, however, suddenly everyone wants to snuggle-cuddle-share-and-chat. I become The Most Popular Person on the Premises. But, if I invite the kids to go for a jog....quiet time.

Speaking of running, did I tell you that I ran in a little race recently? It was three weeks ago, and I was proud as punch. In celebration of that event, I've been eating simple carbohydrates and drinking wine ever since. This could explain why I seem to have gained an easy five pounds.

I was planning to get out for a run today, but I was thwarted by the welcoming embrace of absolute silence at home. And also by the apparent return of winter. Two days ago I was sweltering in the sun, and today I'm sitting by the fire watching the rain. With Idaho weather being what it is, I wouldn't be all that surprised to find the yard covered with snow by evening. It's very unpredictable.









No comments: