Thursday, November 23, 2017

Ministry

I've just stumbled upon a new biblical commentator this morning, and his writing style thrills me. He is terrifically concise, yet deeply wise. "Pithy" as my mother might say.
I have an extensive library which constantly yields unexplored treasures. This could mean that I have way too many books (a perspective my dear husband frequently proclaims) or that I am sorely negligent in my reading habits (which is partly true).
I chanced upon this particular book yesterday while dusting. Dusting is another area in which I find that I tend to be somewhat negligent.
Anyway, there I was, dusting in anticipation of distributing various holiday paraphernalia when I happened upon a lovely set of five or six matching books with the intriguing title Proclaiming the New Testament. As I am, in fact, reading the New Testament, it occurred to me that I may find this resource to be useful. The first book of the set is written by a man named Herschel which delights me for no other reason than that I find the name amusing. His name is Herschel H. Hobbs, the alliterative poetry seems to me so very appropriate for an author. No one so named could be boring.
The books are intended to inspire formal ministers to greater depths of study, a goal they likely have successfully fulfilled. I'm inspired, though I am no minister, and I am so far off Formal as to be hardly capable of using the term.
Which brings me right round to the point of my morning musings:

I think that the word "Ministry" is terribly misunderstood. I looked it up in the dictionary and was given the less-than-helpful definition
"the work of a minister."
This seems woefully inadequate and sharply misleading. It seems to me that the word might be more accurately defined as
"the work of Jesus,"
since this is both broader, and more to the point. Broader, because ministering doesn't need to be done by a formal pastor-type person. Ministering, if it is the work of Jesus, can be done by an intentional child. It's more to the point, because it is the the work of Jesus and not the work of man... Or should be. The ministers of Jesus' day were those to whom Jesus applied the sharpest criticism because they were vigorously diligent in their pursuit of religion, and entirely bereft of a love for people. Perhaps, then, we can hone our definition a bit more by adding
"doing the work of Jesus by loving people."
How is that for a definition?
Suddenly, ministry becomes something that you and I are capable of doing even if we have no formal training.  I can comfort someone who is sad, feed someone who is hungry, spend time with someone who is lonely, give to someone who has a need. Suddenly, I find that my active listening, or my hugs, or even my tuna casserole becomes holy. If we are loving people intentionally, then we doing exactly what Jesus was doing. If we are loving Jesus by loving people, then we are fulfilling our purpose. That is ministry.


No comments: