Tuesday, January 09, 2018

Damn Pharisees

We had just arrived in church on Sunday morning when a most instructive even occurred.
First, you must understand that Don was accompanying us for the first time in several weeks. His boss has been scheduling him on Sundays, and he has been most unhappy about it. He told me, "Mom, I need the Jesus time." He told his boss, too, and so he was finally able to join us. Aaron and I made our way into the sanctuary while Don took a quick cigarette break in the parking lot. By the time we had socialized our way in to the back row (our usual spot) we had gained another member to our party in the person of Katrina.
 Katrina is one of my very favorite people. She has a purity about her that I admire so very much. She is a rare soul in that she is often gently amused where a lesser woman might be scandalized, or worse, Judgmental.
We filed into the back row. Katrina first, then me, then Aaron....and Don breezed in at the last second to find himself relegated to the end of the row. "Daaaammmnnnn!" He exclaimed.... Loud enough to be heard by the back several rows, who, to their credit, didn't turn and gape. Katrina positively lost it into quivering convulsions of hilarity. Aaron was obliged to relinquish his position next to me, as Don explained that he needed to be able to relay his numerous edifying thoughts to me throughout the service. Katrina was still doubled over in mirth.
Which brings me to the point which struck me as particularly instructive.
If my fellow church-goers were aware of my son arriving to Sunday service, wafting in on the scent of cigarette smoke and a hearty expletive, they might easily judge him or me. But...they don't know from whence he has come. They don't know that he likely longs to be there so much more than they have in recent memory. They don't know that he has fought addiction and hopelessness to finally grace these seats with his family. He's the very sort that Jesus got so enthusiastic about. He's the very sort that you and I ought to be enthusiastic about. Look around you at church on Sunday. If no one smells like cigarettes....has tattoos....swears....
ask yourself "Why not?"

No comments: