Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Working from Home.

You know, I seem to have developed the rather selfish habit of laying claim to any vacant room in this house as a haven for my sanity. Currently, I am writing from my daughter's former room, which I have painted and organized to my liking. When I get several thousand dollars, I plan to add a bay window to this room as well as office furniture and an antique oriental rug.

I'm working from home today. I was scheduled to be at the office for meetings....which sounds really important, but kind of isn't. I was actually supposed to be at school for the Teacher In-service, which is a fancy way of saying that I'd correct papers there without the distraction that students provide. Fortunately, there was a snow storm last night and most of today, so that the boss called a "snow day." I kind of love that the teachers got a snow day and the students didn't.

Now I am working hard to correct papers, and finding myself distracted most pleasantly by this blog.

Why, yes, those are my reading glasses on my head. I wondered where they were. Nice furrowed brow. Maybe a bit of Botox...or a tight ponytail is in order. Hello, age.


Yesterday I babysat my sister's kids while she went to work. The kids are adorable; 6, 4, and 2, or close enough to that, anyway. Three fast moving humans pinging off of objects considerably below my line of sight kept me in a state of heightened anxiety for a full seven hours. For some reason, I remember my own children at that age as cherubic compliant persons who thrilled to moments of teachable quiet. The years may have distorted my memory somewhat. The reality of young people in the house is noisier, stickier, and crazier than I had recalled. We moved from potty to minor injury to food to screaming, and back again. It was very intense. I did insist that the TV stay off, as I couldn't process the extra stimulus. You'll not be surprised to hear that I treated them to a full reading of The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere, and also The Spider and the Fly (which I may have dramatically acted out.)  I haven't had such a high-energy, think-on-your-feet, be-creative-before they-are kind of day in recent memory. It was wonderful. My sister has graciously invited me to come back to do it again one day next week. 



I would have taken pictures, but I had the regrettable experience of wearing brilliant red lipstick with no other makeup at all. It made be look quite terrifying. In truth, the lipstick is rather wonderful in its persistence. It's a cheap drugstore purchase that promises to stay on for 24 hours, and it delivers. I woke up yesterday with flaming red lips, and they did not diminish through gooey kisses, hasty meals, nor endless coffee. In truth, the lipstick I am wearing today is the same brand, but a more sedate color. Sedate is my middle name, after all.

You know what? I have got to go get some work done. Honestly! I can't stay focused for the life of me.

2 comments:

KJP said...

My cousin Ann(ie Lennox) managed to get HIV/Aids and decided to fight the odds.
It took many years and and I hear $11m!
But she survived!
Of course best part was she addressed her lifestyle, religion and now works championing HIV and AIDS on a worldwide scale.

My continued prayers for you dear friend!

kjp

Anonymous said...

Miss Kelly,
I know you are married, but it just seems to informal to address a lady I do not know by only her first name.
I found your blog a long time ago, back in 2005 or 2004 if I remember correctly. I lived in Cincinnati, OH in those days. I was part of a house church, and I think you had commented on a blog run by the pastor of that church. I'd drop by here from time to time (and even commented) as I always found your writing style to be witty, and your insights into how the Holy Spirit intersects with our lives--in the outrageous and the trivial--to be both comforting and deep. That sentence was too long. In short, I like your writing style and what you have to say.
It's been years, but I through about your blog yesterday, completely out of the blue. I dropped by to see what you'd been up to in the last years. It was a trip down memory lane, but I see you haven't been posting in a few years, either.
Not that I'm suggesting you are obligated to blog, for me or anyone else, rather I just wanted to let you know that someone out there--that you've surely never meet--deeply appreciated what you wrote.
I do know enough of your story from your writing to know you have had a hard time for many years. I do pray that things have resolved. God is good, but sometimes it's hard to see.
-Justin