Monday, July 10, 2006

I slept on an Island

I am struggling to describe the view I saw last night. It was such a wondrous display of beauty... We walked on the beach as the sun set in the West. The waves rolled in pink in the failing light. The city of Seattle was evident on the other shore, electric lights flickering in the distance. The towers seem a monument to man's brilliance. Such architectural magnificence! Looming large above the city, painted upon the sky like a towering monster, was Mt Rainier. This mountain is larger than a dream, and shows against the horizon like a fantastical landscape. One almost expects a dragon to swoop around the misty slopes! It occurred to me that the mountain- a tribute to the Creator's Imagination- stood in stark contrast to the best that man could build.
It was an image I could not capture with my little camera, but impossible to forget!
And there's a lesson....How often I think that my finite mind has something to offer. One glance over my shoulder would reveal that Almighty God, in His Infinite Wisdom, dwarfs my best attempts.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Beautifully written!

Talena said...

Thank goodness He still chooses to use us anyway--only He knows why, though.

Funny, how we always put these high expectations on ourselves before we can accomplish anything, and He just uses whatever is available.