The apostle Paul invites his readers to follow his example as they look to live the Christian life, and that seems to me a remarkable invitation. If I were to invite you to fall into the footsteps I leave, I wonder how you'd fare?
My new friend, Chris, and I were talking last night. (I collect friends named "Chris" and "Kris." Apparently this was The name to bestow upon daughters in the late 60's, and early 70's.)
Chris is operating under the heavy fog that is grief. Her momma just died, and the weight is very nearly suffocating.
Chris is also a new follower of Christ, and there is so much that I'd love for her to know.
I can't help but ponder, as I pray for her, what kind of example I am setting. When the world around us looks at you and I, they should see something of Jesus.
Scripture uses the picture of a "vessel" built to contain the Divine. I am, then, the receptacle of God's Very Holy Spirit. What a ramshackle house He has chosen! Here I stand, like the Pharisees, a "white-washed sepulchre;" painted-up to hide.
The illumination of God's Presence exposes more and more as the years go by, and I find my heart is broken by all that I am not. The example that I set, is that of a struggling woman. Now faithless,
now broken,
now rising to my feet,
to fall again.
As Chris was talking about her grief, I was so desirous of wise, and life altering words. All I have to offer is compassion.
Perhaps that is as it should be.
We must long for the perfection that is so constantly elusive. We must long for the Greatness we were created to be. Yet, we must muddle through, hand-in-hand with other sinners.
We can only give of what we've been given. If it is wisdom we have to offer, then thanks be to God!
If what I've been given is pain, then that is also a suitable help.
The illumination which exposes my hypocrisy, is also a worthy gift from He Who Created me. Illumination grants a humility that can not be feigned.
God knows that He has called us to represent His Person to those around us. He knows what a failure we are doomed to be! Yet, here is another of His daily miracles, that He designs the use of feeble folks like us, to lead the way to Him. Step carefully along the way today, my friend. Someone is bound to be following in your footsteps.
2 comments:
Thanks for sharing this today.
I so often feel like such a failure in the example I set. I wonder what other people see when they look at me. Do they see the shining love of Christ or do they see a big mess. Gosh, I'd love to think that maybe they can see both.
I've been reading your blog for a while and figured it was time to introduce myself.
Kimba, I am so glad that you dropped in and introduced yourself. I am glad to know you.
Post a Comment