The sun is announcing the tardy arrival of Spring; it's beautiful out my window. Part of me wants very much to go out for a run in the cool morning sunshine. That part of me is not my legs. My legs are dreadfully sore from yesterday's hike up a hill we call "camel's back." It's a steep climb, the sort of hill teens only sled down on a dare. Climbing it requires most of four limb; it's that steep. There's a muscle ache where I sit, and it commands my attention when I walk. Perhaps this would be a good day to work my arms.
I was reading, this morning, from my King James Version. This language thrills my soul. I find it so poetic as to fire my imagination as I read. If only the current trend toward IMing and texting hadn't eroded our language beyond recognition! Alas. I fear the beauty is lost forever.
There are language patterns in the KJV of the bible which are not necessarily evident in my other versions. By-the-way, I usually read the NAS. What do you prefer?
Similarities between Genesis 3:16 and 4:7 jumped out at me today.
The first passage is God speaking to Eve, and it's no gentle conversation. His words are a curse, and there is some debate among scholars as to the particulars of the meaning. "...Thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee."
The second passage is God speaking to Cain. This is a warning to Cain, because God can see that Cain is furious, and conceiving murder in his intentions. God says, personifying sin, "...Unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him."
Do you see the similarity in phrasing?
In the one passage, Eve desires Adam. Adam is going to rule Eve.
In the other, Sin desires Cain. Cain ought to rule Sin, but as we know from the rest of the story, Sin actually rules over Cain.
Ruling-over is a result of sin in both cases. Weird, huh?
I have no conclusions to offer, and no wise thoughts. I am mulling this over in my mind, and wondering what there is to be gleaned from this. Any ideas?
1 comment:
Interesting thoughts - sort of leaves us not masters our own domains, eh?
Post a Comment