Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A masterpiece of irony

The weather was saved from being too hot by a consistent breeze; a favorable zephyr which carried the none-too-fresh scent of my unwashed self down the beach. I was thinking myself quite European on account of the week-old growth on my legs, when I somehow fell to the consideration of lust. Ironic, no?
Does being married cure the wrestling match with lust? I decided it must not.
Indeed, if lust is a selfish condition of the heart, then it must have a considerable impact upon a marriage relationship.
Lust on the beach, is a lingering, and sinful, indulgence of imagination, with a victim who may be entirely unaware. Within the confines of matrimony, it could lead to infidelity, of course.
But, it would do other damage as well.
A lust-inclined heart is utterly selfish.
You must please me. Your purpose on this planet is to meet my needs, and if you fail, then I have the divine right to find the fulfillment of my desires elsewhere. Make me happy! Please me! Buy me what I want!
No wonder so many marriages fail. No wonder I so often fail.

20 minutes of sun on the front side. I checked to make sure the kids were still alive, and I turned over to cook the back of me.
And to consider the alternative to lust.
Love is about you, not me, and ultimately about God. That would be a wonderful heart-inclination to offer a spouse.
I must please you. My purpose on this planet is to serve God by meeting your needs. If ever you fail me, I have the divine right look to God Himself to meet my every need.
What about outside of marriage? As a single person I find that I vacillate between these two attitudes. If only I could focus the intention of my heart to love those around me, without demanding that they fill me up.

You'll be so relieved to know that I showered when I got home. And shaved. And then, I blogged.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I try to shower and shave every day. I generally do not shave my legs however. Although I have some cyclist friends who do... just does not strike me as manly, is all! LOL!

And yes, I think you're right. Lust is about being served, not serving.

Robin said...

You said-If only I could focus the intention of my heart to love those around me, without demanding that they fill me up.

Well said Kelly, well said. It may aactually be a new fave quote of mine...may I quote you?

Kelly said...

HI Jim
You should shave your legs sometime, so that you can appreciate the discomfort.

Robin
Of course you may quote me! I'd be honored! Are you ready for Romania?