Ah! How fickle is the heart of woman!
Just yesterday, I was enamoured of Joshua.
Today I want to marry Boaz.
The jump from the book of Joshua to that of Ruth was an easy tangent this morning. I read about the fall of Jerico, and the transfer of Rahab to the Israelite nation. Rahab begets Boaz.
So, I jumped on over to Ruth, and got a little sappy. That is such a romantic story!
There are very few examples of courtship in Scripture. They weren't big on dating back then.
There's the whole Rachel/Leah thing, which didn't work out so well for those girls. Rachel's part of the story is romantic, what with Jacob working 14 years to win her hand. However, I always get sidetracked by the sadness that is Leah's.
There's Rebekah's story, though that was an arranged marriage. Still, they had that love-at-first-sight.I have love-at-first-sight all the time. Just kidding.
Esther married the king after she won a beauty pageant. What woman wants to be married as a trophy?
Those are about the only examples of how to get a spouse that I can think of, beyond Ruth and Boaz.
Ruth fascinates me, because she is the instigator in this relationship. She gets all dolled up, in her pretty clothes and makeup. Then, she marches in to where Boaz had fallen asleep after a night of feasting and drinking. Once he wakes up, and notices that she is there, she basically proposes.
"Hey Handsome, you can have me if you want me. Whadaya say?"
That took a tremendous amount of courage, if you ask me. Either she was confident of his interest in her, and knew he needed a little help....or I don't know what. Can you imagine being that gutsy? I would die a thousand deaths, and swim the seven seas, before I'd snuggle up to a man who hadn't voiced interest in me. Which could explain why I'm still single.
Boaz is amazing. He must be a man of God. Clearly he has his finances in order. He is known as a man of affluence and influence. Plus, he notices the character of Ruth, and that is what draws him to her. He pays very close attention to her. He appreciates and respects the woman that she is. That tells me a lot about the man he was. Naomi understands him well. She tells Ruth that Boaz will resolve things quickly, "He won't rest until he's settled the matter this day." Boaz seems to be a man of action.
He is impressed by who she is, more than how she looks.
He pays very close attention to her, and meets the needs he can see.
He is concerned for her protection and her reputation, and he takes steps to shelter her.
He is just about giddy when he realizes her interest in him, and he quickly acts to make her his own.
I'm pretty much in love with him.
3 comments:
I don't think I'd ever win a beauty pageant marriage. But luckily for me, that isn't how it's done anymore (mostly).
I love the story of Ruth and have used it as a fun Sunday School skit with the High Schoolers every few years. Ok, loosely adapted, but always certain to bring howls of laughter as I always use the most popular girl for Ruth and the greatest nerd for Boaz. Yup, just love that story...
Hey, I kow a guy named Boaz... I could call him for you! LOL!
Post a Comment