...Actually he didn't. Do you know how I know? Because I can handle it without his help. I don't know about you, but I am fairly adept at keeping a variety of sin issues flourishing in my self.
Nothing vulgar, you understand. I'm not committing adultery, nor embezzlement. Not that I wouldn't be tempted. I am quite wicked, deep down, which is the point.
I've been thinking lately about the sorts of things I struggle with. My greatest wrestling match at the moment in my head. You may find this hard to believe, but I have a hard time keeping my head about me. Shocking, no? I am a daydreamer, so my thoughts wander, and I am happily lost in the company of my own imagination. Either I am an artist, or in need of regular medication.
This becomes a sin issue because of several things.
One, I find that I daydream about things that cause a real emotional response in me, which is entirely inappropriate. Take for example, a situation from the other day. I was irritated with a person, and in my head I told him off in grand conversations in which I lambasted him, and emerged clever and victorious. When he walked up to me in real life, I was really pissed off because of my imaginary conversations. I had to take a moment to collect myself and emerge back into a civilized conversation, where I was polite.
Also, I am given to dramatic interpretations of my life in general. Things, and people, are glorious in the extreme, or entirely dreadful. Which? Most things are far closer to moderate than I would necessarily prefer. When I imagine someone worse or better than they really are, I am not free to love that person as they really are. See?
Often, I grow dissatisfied with my life, or some element of it, and I waste my day dreaming it were different. Although, if no one ever dreamed up Prince Charming and all those wonderful fairy tales, where would we be? See, the imagination isn't wrong. I know that. It's how to harness it's power without being swept away. This is my conundrum.
God tells me to think on what is True. True is so often mundane or wearying. Who wants to think about that? The Bible teaches that I am to be "transformed by the renewing of my mind." When my mind is on holiday, it is surely not being applied to the tasks at hand.
The whole idea of ordering my thoughts, and taking them captive, is a very frustrating prospect to me. It's a very tiresome battle. I am always fighting, and that within myself. I talk to myself, "that is not true, don't think on it. That is not pure, throw it out. That is not productive, order yourself, Self."
I do need medication, don't I?
I think a nice, external sin would be just lovely. Perhaps I'll beat my children, or kick the dog.
4 comments:
Why aren't people commenting on your blog? I love your blog! Don't they know you need justification and affirmation? What's the matter with these blog readers? You'd think they have a life or something?
huh?
there's a thought.
see ya in a few...cause my life is your life babe! :) love that!
k
Kara, There are 40 or 50 very quiet people who read my writing every day.
Hi, everybody. Thanks for stopping by. Kara would like you to speak up, as she said above, and I wouldn't mind, either. Thanks for dropping in.
Kelly,
That being transformed by the renewing of your mind, verse. Man, it's a tough one! Much as I want to be transformed, my mind certainly balks at the renewing part. Praise God. He never gives up on us!
Love you,
Nope, no meds for you. The blogging would be unbearably boring, infinitely less... just less!
OK, I'm heading back into my imaginary argument with someone...
;>)
Post a Comment