Thursday, December 29, 2016

I propose a new topic

Enough about addiction. Let's complain about a different one of my offspring this evening, shall we?

Before we do, though, I'd like to show you the bag of dark chocolate I've been eating this evening. It was much nearer to being full about 15 minutes ago. It's comfort food, really. Shall we discuss my lack of makeup? Or just save that for another day?

So, my eldest is in prison, you know. He has this seriously cute little girlfriend who comes by the house to visit with me quite often. The problem I'd like to complain about is that Michael invariably calls me when she is here. This always results in his asking "can I just say 'hi' to her?" Which means that they embark upon 30 minutes of giggly chit-chat. Not that I resent that, not exactly. Understand that phone conversations with the prison are not free. They are 10 cents for every minute. Not only have I been thrown over for a pretty young thing, but I'm paying for the privilege. 

This is my favorite stone face. I keep him in my hidey-hole of an office because he brings me a whimsical joy. Other stoned faces are not allowed in my hidey-hole of an office because any face that is stoned just irritates me. Thus, we have made it back, full-circle to the tired old topic of the past few years.

Today was a little rough around here. As opposed to yesterday, which was a walk in the sunshine. Have I mentioned that living with addiction in the house is erratic on a good day, and downright insane on a bad day.

I'll tell you what, though, I'm sure learning to be unruffled in the face of sizable provocation. A set of headphones and a vigorous workout session go a long way towards keeping me sane.

So does a good marriage. 
My husband is a balm for my soul. That man keeps me grounded and secure in the face of some kind of crazy. Days like today, when  my heart is shredded and I'm beyond exhausted from dealing with the unfathomable, he will walk in and wrap his arms around me. He offers me such love without judgement. I can rail and cry or complain or freak out....he just takes me as I am. I can't even imagine dealing with this insanity without his strength.

This picture was taken 9 years ago. Not a one among us was on drugs or in prison. Good times.








1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are in my heart and in my prayers!! Always. . .