Sunday, January 21, 2007

Stuff...

I have stuff to tell you, because there's been a few things going on.
I went Skiing.
This is a big deal because of my Broken Toe That Refused to Heal. I am so excited!!!! It didn't even hurt. I resolved to ski on Friday, and so I just set out with the kids. I put on the boot, and I hit the slopes. It was that simple.
And you know what? I love to ski alone. I had never done that before, but I will do it again for sure. The boys were in this snowboarding class, and they spent the rest of the day running about with their friends and cousins. I was blissfully able to do Whatever I Wanted.
Yesterday, I had to be at the Martial Arts studio because we had testing. This is a tortuous process by which individuals perform before a judge to see if they know enough to earn their next belt level. It's fun. More fun as a judge than as a student, as you can imagine. I expect to test for my Black Belt in April, so now I have to start getting nervous about that.
I came home after the testing and slept from about 1:30- 5:30. I was totally zonked! It could be the raging sinus infection that is trying to kill me. That could be why I was tired.
I did go to house church, though. It's pretty wonderful to want to be at church. I don't know how badly we trashed Lisa's house, but the kids tell me that vomit was a factor. Dani mentioned that House church is more like a raging party than like any church she's ever been to, and I think that was a compliment....It's the kids, really. The adults are not quite as rambunctious.
Last night we finished eating and just lingered at the table talking. We covered a variety of topics ranging from Job opportunities to the Trinity to Ann Coulter. Several people talked about ways that they have seen God at work in their lives, and in the lives of those around them. I love to hear stuff like that. You know, one of the purposes of the church is to build us up so that we can go back off to our world and be equipped to be Jesus to the people around us.
House church does this in a way that conventional church never did for me.
I know a lot about the Bible. I was raised in the church, so I have years of Pastoral teaching under my belt. I suspect that this is true for most Christians in the U.S. In fact, if I never heard another sermon...and just applied what I've already been taught...I think I may actually accomplish something.
With house church, we are praying and reading our bibles. But there's way Way WAY more. It's relational. Organic. Motivating. Interesting. Mysterious.
The focus is becoming Jesus. Isn't that, like, duh!? But it was never the focus before. I have always been focused on Learning.
God is doing stuff with these people, and around us. I want to be a part of it. And it doesn't look all tidy and neat like it once did. It's risky and a little dangerous, and fun, and so very outside-of-us. If you are involved, you know what I am talking about.
Perhaps it's the same sort of thing that made the disciples drop everything to follow this guy, Jesus. I suspect it's an inkling of what made them willing to die for Him.
You know why? 'Cause it's Love. I am beginning to understand what it means to love Jesus and people. And I have been a Christian for 30-some-odd years, so that fact that I am only just beginning to get this concept is a bit sad.
But I am beginning to get it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is kelly, I am teaching Mother to comment on my blog...

Cathy said...

So where is the Mother comment?

Love this, Kel. It's so much like my church and the path I've been on... I discovered I had a love affair with Church all my life... and about a year ago started the journey to change that into a love affair with Jesus instead.

Good stuff.
Love you, friend.

KJP said...

Hi Kelly's Mom!

Congratulations on a day of frozen fun! Hope you had a great time and the toe has not started acting up again.

Though you claim to be finding something, if you reread your early posts - you will find you knew it then (the reason I stopped by originally!).

Glad you are getting it together with God, it is the only place we need concentrate our attention - God will handle the rest (using us of course, even if unwilling at times!).

ciao.