Friday, January 11, 2008

Free willy

God really cares a whole bunch about relationship. Have you noticed?
I was reading in Isaiah about Cyrus. He was this godless ruler who was used by God. It's funny to me that God would overpower this guy to employ him, but God won't overpower me. I sometimes ask Him to. Because, really? I am kind of a twit. It's as if God cares more about my freewill, because He desires an authentic interaction with me. He maybe doesn't care so much about the freewill of someone like Cyrus whom He just kind of uses to accomplish His Own Purposes.
Has this thought occurred to you? I don't know if it's really true that God values my freewill more than He does that of someone who is not His, but it's an intriguing consideration.
God really wants me to talk to Him
and to think about Him
and to Desire Him.
Which is weird, because He could do so much better than the likes of me.
You know how I always compare this to being in love? I think this is another thing that kind of proves that point.
God wants me to come to Him and to seek Him out simply because I long for Him. He doesn't need me at all. Isn't that like a healthy relationship? Sure, we grow to need each other. But you can't start out that way. We have to be complete people, secure in who we are. That is when we can be successful in other relationships. Kind of ironic, that.

5 comments:

The Nester said...

I love you! I love this post. Have you read "Captivating"? This reminds me of that book. He sure does pursue us and why?

Love you girl!

carolineb said...

hmmm. I like it. You should write a book about it with your husband, D. M.

I'm thinking of Caesar Augustus who God used to get His baby to Bethlehem. And Balaam's donkey.

Kelly said...

HI Nesting girl. Yes, Captivating was glorious. I also loved the series you recommended to Cathy, I read it twice, and Hadassah remains my hero. Don't bother telling me that she isn't real becasue LaLaLa I can't hear you!

Caroline, Howdy! You can just say it, "Donald Miller." I think I proposed to him in a post some time ago. Not that he reads my blog, but whatever. Are you loving Blue Like Jazz?

carolineb said...

So much am I loving Blue Like Jazz. I went to a play tonight in Atlanta where the actor is CS Lewis and he talks to the audience like they are there for a meeting. He recited his works for like 2 hours straight. It was amazing. And it reminded me of some things I'm reading in BLZ. Ok, now my 3 people for a dream dinner are CSLewis, DM and Sting. Tolkien has been replaced, this week at least. TGIF!

carolineb said...

Oh yeah, and my sister in law went to the Captivating conference recently in Colorado and it has changed her life!