Jenine the Wise had a comment that has been ringing in my ears since I spoke with her yesterday.
We were talking about Christians who really get our attention. (If you want the truth, it was something about Christians who drink wine and sometimes have a cigar. But that is not my point. And, no, I will not delete that from my post if you think that someone might be offended by my mentioning of tobacco.)
My point is Jenine's comment.
She was saying that these sorts of folks are remarkable because they have not "lost themselves." I often think that losing myself is the point of Christianity, and in a way it is. But the thought that Jesus has us to be useful with our individual-ness is an intriguing thought. What is it about you that makes you unique?
What thrills your soul and delights you?
It could be music, or fine cigars, or a brain for numbers, perhaps a sarcastic sense of humor. God takes us as we are. He winnows out the sin, and would have us changed in that regard. But He does not change our individuality.
My friend (described here yesterday) is a fine fighter. That very part of him is teaching and encouraging, and being used to draw attention to the Person of his Creator.
God made us.
We are here with our foibles and idiosyncrasies.
Those are the things that make us important.
There is no one quite like you. Ergo, there is no one who can accomplish what you can accomplish.
It is a shame, I think, when Christians lose themselves in the quest to become perfect little church-goers. Holy lives are far from boring.
I agree with Jenine the Wise. We must not lose our Selves. It is our Selves that God can use.
6 comments:
you smoke cigars?????
I have smoked a cigar. Which is not at all the same as saying that I currently smoke cigars. They actually make me quite ill. Although, I love the smell of them. You?
I'm thinking that giving yourself would be what God would want, a lot different than losing yourself. You are correct Janine is wise.
I think your talents are not being used to there full potential. You should write those daily devotionals and have them published. I would buy it and read it every day.
Also, I never knew God could use my sarcasm? For what, I wonder? Apparently he used Isaiah's.
kara
Sarcasm is a Gift from God. It is a deeply spiritual and humorous means of communication. You are blessed, sister, go in peace.
Love this post, Kel.
I've been thinking through my me-ness a lot lately... frankly, wondering why God created me this way and what in the world He might be planning to do with me next...
Good stuff, my friend.
Post a Comment