I love people who speak their mind. I mean, agree or not, you can sure respect that sort of person.
People who try so hard to please everyone within earshot absolutely drive me nuts.
Yeah, I know. It's because I am like that.
Jesus never seemed to be real worried about making friends. Not really into people pleasing, that One.
He did, however, make a real point of speaking truth.
Jesus would not have been all that popular around here. Of course, his world killed him. What else are you gonna do with a mouthy perfect man who calls the religious leaders "white washed tombs"? He was name-calling there. Saying that these pompous Church folks were all pretty on the outside, but there was decay inside. "Something rotten in Denmark" to quote the Bard.
You see, Jesus didn't mince words when it came to unrepentant sin.
Remember that part in John 8 where Jesus tells the folks he's speaking to that they are "Liars"? He says that they are "of their father, the devil." Can you imagine saying that to someone?
Me neither.
Sometimes, it may need to be said.
I think we, as a people, are all mixed up when it comes to confronting sin.
We smirk when we should blush.
We look the other way when we ought to confront.
We condemn when we need to love.
Confusing, touchy, and deeply personal stuff.
Jesus was a mind-reader and a heart-reader, and we are not. I can't tell at a glance whether you are sinning because you are raising a fist at God, or if you are sinning because you are fragile. So, I have to be very very careful. But, I may not use that as an excuse to avoid confronting sin.
How to proceed? As though I will be the next one confronted. That lends some perspective, and a very healthy starting point.
3 comments:
Very well said. I like that about Jesus. He can look you in the eye, full of love and hope, and tell you to get your house in order.
Like the new blog look!
Amen, Kelly! Well said...
mmm...a hearty, challenging word! good stuff.
Post a Comment