Friday, February 29, 2008

Job's wife

Do you ever think about Job's wife? Poor gal. She is the one who went down in history for asking her husband why he didn't just, "Curse God and die." I'll bet she wished that she could have a do-over of that phrase!

Years ago, my Wonderful Granny drew my attention to something about Job's wife that I had never noticed before.

She pointed out that, though the wife isn't mentioned again in the rest of the book of Job, she is alluded to. Remember that Job had another 7 sons and 3 daughters? My Granny pointed out that staying with Job, and going on to rear a second family, took a ton of courage.

I was thinking about this.

That woman had every reason to despair. What would you do if all your kids died, you went bankrupt, and your husband got really ill? Her response, though wrong, was not much different than what I might do. But, she stuck it out.
I have days where I am not at all happy with what God has dealt to me. It not so hard to be angry with God, nor to fight against Him.
But, like Job's wife, it's important to stick around for the end of the story.
Her story did not end in misery; It ended in great blessing and joy.
Who knows where your story will end? One thing is certain, and that is that your story isn't over yet.
So there is hope.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

true dat ;-)
~paj

Anonymous said...

I've wondered about that, actually.

Granny's are smart that way!

Anonymous said...

I always thought it was a new wife, no?

k