Money is green
money is fun
If you have money
You can give me some
I was reading in Proverbs this morning, and the ones about how it's better to be poor and peaceful, than rich and happy, kept leaping off the page to assult my mind.
Very annoying.
So, I flipped at random to the New Testament, where my eyes happened upon the end of 1 Timothy. The topic? Yeah, money. The whole thing about the love of money being the root of all kinds of trouble.
Now, because I am smart as a whip, I began to recognize a pattern here. Momma didn't raise no fool.
I had occasion this week to see how very succeptable I am to the love of money. I guess I had fancied myself beyond that. You know, on account of how I have none.
So, I began poking around inside my heart, and saw lots and lots of the love of money thing going on. Then I looked at my credit card, and it was irritatingly boasting the results of my attempts to have money.
All I want is a new car, and pretty furniture, and cool clothes, and I want to eat out a lot. I want my kids to have all kinds of sports and music and......
See?
If the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil, then call me Potato. Or Potato. I'm a root, baby. The flower? My bloomin' credit card.
I don't have a gazillion dollars of debt, or anything. I just have evidence that I do not restrain my living to within my means. Who really wants to fly below the poverty radar?
I was pondering the adjustments I will need to make to ensure that I can live within my budget, and I don't like it.
Why? I somehow think I deserve to have ....what? New clothes? Sushie?
I am a Single mom, who is provided for by The God of Creation. Can you even believe that I would complain about not being provided for in the style to which I'd like to become accustomed?
I totally need to get over myself.
8 comments:
Mo' money, mo' problems. As Michael Scott would say. (Do you ever watch The Office?)
Money is such a strange thing. Having it doesn't make you happy, it only makes you want more. Not having it makes you want it. But then when you have money you still can't find happiness because it keeps you from looking in the correct places. So, knowing these things, why do we ALL fall victim to money? It must be a good liar.
Probably more than just a few songs in there...eh?
Besides losing my age in weight this year, my goal is to kill my credit card or at least get its balance down to pocket change! It might take a few years, but tomorrow is aways for paying for yesterday's sins - right?
Time for meds, phooey!
Preach it Sista!
Can I hear an amen!!
I have really been thinking about my lack of contentment lately and then compare that to most of the world and Bam- how eye opening! We have so much!
My side of the family is doing a second hand Christmas this year and we are all excited about it! I am trying to go to goodwill first and think ahead! I love cute clothes for me, my honey and my boys and am bound and determined not to look "homeschool" I think it's just how I'm made to express myself and enjoy beautiful things. Who doesn't? But, I am challenging myself to not lose that but, do it cheaper!
How fun!
sing it sista!!! what great introspective thoughts. did I use that phrase correctly?
fyi~i am greedy too esp at (of all places) the goodwill. I hurry to get all the best stuff in my cart. AND when there are lots of cars there as I drive up, I get real mad.
jenn, did you ever the the office when michael scott was "prision mike?"
ha ha ha ha ha
~paj
oh my gosh, i just saw that I said almost the exact same thing as the nester.
funny.
hi nester.
~paj
Shopping at the Goodwill doesn't count as a whole love-of-money-I-wanna-be-rich thing. It's virtue to buy things second hand. Lots and lots of things.
I love the idea of a second hand Christmas. Jenn, didn't you guys do something like that this past year?
Kelly, we did to a Christmas sort of like that this year. We "regifted" our gifts. They had to be things we already owned so no money changed hands. It was really fun. My mom gave me a pair of earrings that I have loved for years. I gave Jess some beautiful wooden candlesticks. Charles gave my dad 3 DVDs, etc. I think we are going to keep that sort of things up. I also want to combine that with a monetary donation to World Vision (which we did two years in a row). This year was just a little disorganized and we didn't get to it.
Love the ideas about a re-gift Christmas! That would be so much fun.
I struggle with wanting more all the time. Can I not be content with the blessings I already have? I am glad to know that these thoughts are shared by others. Thanks for a glimpse into your, um, pocketbook.
Post a Comment