Thursday, February 14, 2008

Meanwhile, back at the ranch

Today's story is ever so much happier than yesterday's. But yesterday's story is rather dramatic, so I'll tell you bits and pieces from time to time. All true, you know. But, for the moment I shall abandon the past, and focus on the serendipities of today.

I am reading Jane Eyre for the first time. These classics tend to surprise me, as I always expect them to be dry and boring. This is a fantastic book. In fact, I am learning all manner of new words (which is on of my favorite things in the whole world, next to exquisite wine with a dear friend).

Inanition-Which basically means that I haven't eaten in a while, so I am empty with no energy. As in, "Kara is given to bouts of inanition. Someone should feed that girl."

Hebdomadal- which means, according to Webster and Friends, that something occurs weekly. I'd say, "House church is a glorious hebdomadal joy." And you would have no idea what I meant.

I read with a dictionary close at hand, and a highlighter pen. It makes me so happy.

I have a list of books that I'd really like to read. The truth is that I have no time at all for such delicious leisure. When I am forced to consume a book through stolen snippets of time, such as reading at stoplights, I find that I lose my momentum and end up abandoning the pursuit. The best way to read, in my opinion, is fully and with abandon. I would take a book and an afternoon, and immerse myself entirely in that alternate reality.
The only reason that I am reading this at all, is because Johanna made me. She was right here, with the book before her, and she read an irresistable quote.
The quote is from the Preface, and Charlotte Bronte herself wrote it.
Will you indulge me?
"Conventionality is not morality. Self-rightousness is not religion. To attack the first is not to assail the last.To pluck the mask from the face of the Pharisee, is not to lift an impious hand to the Crown of Thorns. These things and deeds are diametrically opposed; they are as distinct as vice from virtue." There was more to it, and it thrilled my soul. You can go and read it for yourself, I am not going to keep typing the whole thing (tempted though I may be).
Johanna sucked me in with that quote, then she gave me the book. Just like that. I could take the next year to read it, if I must read in the car. How I wish for a quiet afternoon!

If I ever find myself rich, I shall read every single day.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

"The best way to read, in my opinion, is fully and with abandon."

I could not have said it better myself!!

Sorry to have taken so long to comment but I've been in hospital with Isaiah.

When I hear parts of your story I am amazed because you are my cousin and how could those things happen to someone in my family? I look forward to hearing more because most of what I've heard has not been from you but from other family members and I would love to hear everything straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Also, Johanna is a terrible temptress. She always has a good book to lure you in with. Trust me; I know! Did you know that when we were in High School we three girls tried to adopt as nicknames the pen names of the Bronte sisters? Jess was to be Currer, I was to be Ellis and Jo was to be Acton. But it never caught on.

KJP said...

Cough, cough, cough, cough! Girl book quotes! cough, cough, wheeze!

Got my computer back!!!!

:^)

Kelly said...

Jenn, hello new momma! How is your lovely new son? How are you?
Thank you for lending me your amazing sister!
Hi KJP! How are you?
Thank you both for coming by my little blog.