I saw the Bucket List last night with Patsy (paj). Very fun.
I should totally do a Saturday movie review every week. That way I would be commited to seeing a current movie every Friday night. And then my knowledge of pop culture would be on the rise.
Two guys are dying of cancer, and they make a list of all they want to do in the short time they have left. Stuff like skydiving, getting a tattoo, and seeing the Pyramids.
One of the men is a selfish jerk who has lived only to fulfill his various appetites. The other is a selfless man of faith and family. It's a well written and well acted movie. It had me weepy, then laughing, by turns.
If I was confronted with a year to live, I wonder what I'd do....? Patti and I talked about that over dinner. (Paj, Patti, and Patsy are all one and the same person. Just so you know.) She wouldn't get a tattoo, I might. We would skydive. We can't afford to see the Pyramids. I thought I should make a series of DVDs for my children, or write a bunch to them about my life, and all that I want to have them know. Most of what I would do would focus on my kids and my extended family, I think.
You can't really face such a question without being confronted with your own priorities. It's interesting.
In fact, even before we even saw the movie yesterday, we decided to make a list of the Top 10 Things we know that God has told us to do.
For me, the excercise started with stuff like parenting, reading my bible...stuff like that. Then I decided that was sort of over-generalized, and I started to get specific. I wish I could keep these things in mind, and thereby eliminate some of the clutter from my little life.
After honing in on my list for a while, I found that everything God wants of me, fits pretty well into three categories:
1. Seek Him first.
2. Parent well.
3. Love People.
There are some very specific things on my personal list, but I am not going to give you those sordid details.
It's something that warrants more consideration, this question of where my daily energy should go. I waste so much time and money and food and space. It's a squandering of resources. It's a stewardship issue, then. Isn't it?
1 comment:
My list, although not as redeeming as yours, would have to include a subcategory for killing a Russian black boar. Of course, I would have to be dressed as a 19th Bavarian and carrying an 11mm Mauser.
You would have to understand that the black boars were the nemesis of our wood in Germany. It would be me facing my ultimate childhood fear, having fun with the dress and eating well after.
:^)
Post a Comment