Sunday, February 03, 2008

When I grow up

I have been toying with the idea of going back to school. My parents always advised me to have an education to "fall back on" in case something happened to my husband, or I couldn't find a suitable sugar daddy. All in all, that was pretty solid advice, as it turns out. Too bad I didn't pursue it back when Daddy wanted to pay.

Does anyone ever aspire to becoming a poverty-stricken single mom? No, I think not.

School is really boring. I think that subjests like math, for instance, are highly overrated. My cell phone can calculate percentage off, when stuff is on sale. What more do I need?

History is facinating. My limited experience seems to indicate that History Teachers are not. Seriously, I have never had a history instructor who taught with anything like passion and wonder. That's a shame, really.

Languages thrill me. We've discussed that before. But I don't really know any. Which puts a damper on it. I mean, I know English. I like to compare Greek and Latin to English and research the roots of words I love.
And then it hit me!
People who love words are called Philologists. That is what I want to be when I grow up! I don't know if there's a big market for them, and I don't know what the pay scale is. I'll go do a google search here in a minute. Plus, where do you go to school for that? Do you get a B.A. in Philology? Are there scholarships for that? Does it matter that I have a spelling handicap?

I read a book a few years ago about the making of one of the English dictionaries, and that is where I learned about Philologists. I knew, then, that it would be a fun thing for me. But at the time, it hadn't really occured to me to pursue some manner of education.

Now that it's occurred to me, I may need to marinate in the idea for a few years. You can't rush these things.

6 comments:

The Nester said...

What!?! You are a wordie?

I am the exact opposite of a wordie--I like pictures! You are so funny and I love reading your blog!

Kelly said...

I adore your pictures, Nester, they always make me want to spend crazy sums of money on tassels, fabric, and fringe.

Jenn said...

Kelly, your experience of history teachers may be limited but the reality is that good ones are hard to find. Two of my best teachers/professors have been history teachers and they transformed the idea of history in my mind.

As for Philology, in the US, your BA would be in English. Philology isn't a term used much in the US, though it's common in Europe. The pay for Philologists is pretty limited unless you get your PhD and even then, you would need to be picked up by a well-funded program, which is hard to do. But GO FOR IT!!

Ooh, and do you think that if you understood the roots of words that your spelling may improve? I don't know for sure but my guess is that it would.

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
Why don't you use your life experiences and God given gifts to write stories or a book? I know with a good editor you would do great!
Dad

Kelly said...

I am all over the book, dad. It's a work in progress. Spell-check is helping.

KJP said...

The best teacher I ever had was a history teacher! He was awesome and openned up the world for me to see - not in terms of facts and name - but as how to analyze what has happened and then project what the outcome of current events will probably lead. Like I said, awesome.

But, today so many just treat teaching like any old job and with about as much respect. The national scores I think tell the outcome better than any other indicator...