Sunday, March 09, 2008

Fighting

Conventional Church today was fantastic. This brilliant man, whom I've never heard before, taught. He was quick witted, very interesting, and had me on the edge of my seat. Why are not all teachers like that?
I was listening as he was teaching on faith. He was answering the question "Why does God save us by faith rather than by works?" I was impressed by something completely unrelated.

Here's the thing:
I have been learning some hard, and important, things about Thinking Truthfully, Setting Boundaries, and Purposeful Singleness. These are particular lessons that God has been graciously teaching me. They are areas in which I have an uphill climb.
Well, this morning in the sermon time, it hit me that the struggle is a big part of the process. My fairy godmother could wave her wand, and make me do all of these wonderful things. But, God doesn't chose to work that way. It seems that the struggle is really important. Having to fight for these lessons imparts value.
The victory is in a treasure hard won.
I like that.
The concept of fighting hard for something of value appeals to me greatly.
It occurred to me that fighting against my desire to be married, so that I can appreciate my completeness as a single, is the point. Instead of pursuing what could be, I pursue what is.
Or taking my frequently errant thoughts captive. This could never be done if they weren't prone to wander in the first place.
So recognizing the battle, and being willing to engage, this is a big thing.
Setting boundaries, is for me, a new way of correctly identifying what my priorities are, and eliminating distractions. I have to have opportunity to err in order to chose what is correct.
See?
The fact that I struggle, is not evidence of failure, but of faith!
I am struggling with the intention of emerging victorious.

I don't know what you are fighting within your own flesh. We all have those things. The fact that you continue to struggle builds some sort of spiritual muscle, I think. You grow stronger.
Be encouraged today.
Gosh, I am.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I love this thought: The fact that I struggle, is not evidence of failure, but of faith! So often, struggle feels like failure, and so often, those around us perceive it to be failure. I appreciate being reminded that it's not...