Thursday, March 13, 2008

So much for Purposeful Singleness

This daylight saving thing is a drag. I have been tired all week. It seems silly to me that one hour can cause me so much irritation. I can't fall to sleep before 11 pm. My alarm still goes off at 6. Very annoying.
I might be getting grumpy as a result.
Moody, is more like it.
So, when I get like this, I want to get married. I start feeling all wistful, and I sigh a lot. As if being married would help me get more sleep. To say it's silly is perhaps an understatement. I want a man to protect me (from what? I don't know), and love me (whoo hoo!), and help to parent my boys (my way, of course). He can pay the bills, and clean the house. Then I can blog all day to my heart's content. He will love me and cherish me, and I will live in a harbor of eternal bliss.
Whatever.
I was thinking about this again yesterday, about why I want to get married. It's an interesting question once I really think about it. All joking aside, my life is really very simple with no man involved. We've discussed this before, you and I. I appreciate the freedoms that I enjoy. My Independence is a privilege, and a blessing, in so many ways.
When I really answer the question of why I want to marry, it comes down to companionship. I want the couple-ness. (Well... and the couple-ing). But it's the partnership that appeals to me so much.
I really do not want to be involved in a bad marriage ever again as long as I live. But the idea of being in a good marriage holds a lot of appeal. I'd love to learn to function in tandem with a godly man. To grow old with someone whom I really like.
The times that I get distracted by this thought are different than they used to be.
I am ok single. I can do this for the rest of my life, one day at a time. God really is more than sufficient.
Ironically, I suspect that might just make me a better potential wife.

Ecclesiastes says something rather shocking about a women intent upon trapping a man. "I find more bitter than death the woman, whose heart is snares and nets, her hands are as fetters..." It goes on to say that a man who pleases God will escape from her.
I was thinking about what sort of woman this verse describes. Snares and nets are used to entrap an unwilling prey. She's on the hunt. The fetters are like handcuffs, or a ball and chain; they are restrains used to keep a prisoner from breaking free. How many women like this have you seen? I've seen quite a few.
I've even been one.
It's the plunging neckline, and the short skirt. It's the manipulative wording. Lust is the snare, lies the net.
There is a difference between being attractive, and being bait. An attractive women, I think, would exhibit a beauty that inspires a man to be a better man. Jenine the Wise was talking about this a couple weeks ago. She's smart about things like that.
A woman baiting her trap is tempting a man to be a lesser sort.

O, to have the sort of beauty which inspires men to be stronger, and women to be purer!

2 comments:

Robin said...

I've missed keeping up on your life/blog...just had to peek and see what was new. I scanned through the recent blog entries...I just think you & I would most definitely hit it off, love the old Bibles...looks like you have good taste and a great sense of humor. Be encouraged in the Lord today-ypu are loved more than you'll ever know!!! ok, back to my internet fast...ugh, 6 weeks is a long time-so far its been so worth it though. Im going to have the record longest blog post ever after this though:)

Kelly said...

HI Robin! I've missed reading about you. I admire your internet fast! How have you pulled it off? I am such an addict.