D' brought home some candy last night. He and M' and I sat around the living room listening to Ella Fitzgerald, and ate it slowly. We shared a Twix bar; it was all D' would part with. We took very small bites and described the textures and flavors as we ate. We would have made a fantastic commercial, in a condensed version.
Then we watched the candles flicker. They make shadows on the wall. The flames seem to dance to the music, sometimes. Who watches candles burn?
D' was carressing the candy like a miser. He had gotten a stash at an AWANA fair, and he spread it out on the floor, categorizing and counting as he went.
M' was stringing and re-stringing his lacrosse head. Lovingly. Boys are so weird.
I was snuggled under a blanket on the couch, sipping a glass of wine, and reading a paragraph in my book from time to time. Mostly I just watched the boys and listened to them.
M' would think aloud from time to time. Or D' would share random thoughts.
Such a perfect evening.
2 comments:
Life without Hell's Kitchen? How can you live this way?
Actually, I love watching candles burn and playing with the wax.
Ok, I like watching anything burn and throwing more on the fire so it is bigger, brighter, stronger.
heh, heh, heh....
Sounds an awful lot like heaven, actually... except for not sharing more candy!
Post a Comment