Thursday, April 24, 2008

Praying for my friends

There are large situations on my mind this morning. Opportunities to see Heaven displayed in ordinary lives.

Do you think that sheer quantities of people praying increases the likelihood of a favorable answer from the God of Heaven? Or is hanging on His Hem in fervent prayer simply a matter of aligning myself with those who are hurting, and allowing Him to alter my perspective?

One little girl has been at the mercy of our justice system, and is awaiting a favorable outcome. Today is a pivotal moment in her pursuit for justice, and for freedom.

Another friend is facing a crucial test today that will impact his ability to provide for his family.

One friend is grieving powerfully, and facing a life forever altered.

Another on the brink of divorce, desirous of a miracle.

And so we wait. It is no real mystery to me that This God we serve allows us to come to these places. Here we are frozen in anticipation. Dependant. All we can do has been done, and the time has come to "be still and know that (He is) God." How delighted He must be to have our full attention thus.

I was meandering though the Gospel of Luke this morning, and I came across a note in the margin. Do you write in your bible? My margins contain all manner of lines on the significant moments from my life. It's instructive for me, because I am forced to remember the mighty things that God has done for me.

Luke 17:10 speaks of doing those things which we ought to do. Do I expect thanks for changing a diaper? Of course not. We serve those we need to serve, because it is right that we do so.
The note in my margin was written some time during my marriage. It says this, "How much more shall I respond as a dutiful wife to my husband who provides for me? Please help me, Lord!"
And that note takes me back.
You've heard tell of the dramatic decline of that marriage. But the few years we lived together were unspeakably miserable as well. It occurred to me this morning as I reflected on that little prayer from my bible, that God was doing something powerful in my life way back then. I was young at the time, maybe 27. I was so unloved, and so desperately unhappy. Yet, there was the hand of God, gently directing my mindset. All those years ago He was carefully shielding me from the slough of bitterness. That is Protection from a dreadful fate. A fate worse, by far, than a lonely marriage. God is very strong to accomplish such a thing.
I see Him act today, as well. More and more I come to expect it. It's taken more years than I care to count, just to posses within myself a glimmer of trust.

Remembrance adds fervor to my prayers this morning. He will act. It's what He does.

No comments: