Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Compassion International

I possess not one fiber of compassion within my self. Alas!
For those who have suffered at this alarming deficiency within me, I offer the small consolation that I have none for myself, either.

One of the deepest disappointments of my life has been the realization that every thought within my mind is grandly displayed upon my face.

Harder, yet, to imagine, is that thoughts I have not had, are also grandly displayed there for all the world to see. God has been schooling me most diligently to consider the way that others view me. What are they seeing as they watch the varied contortions of my facial expressions?

I have been told that I am a flirt (when attraction had not crossed my mind) (Ironically enough, I don't seem to communicate interest when I actually am considering attraction. Very inconvenient, that)

That I am annoyed (wait... I often am. It isn't very nice of me, but there it is)

That I am suffering under some one's lack of intelligence (when I am actually considering their thoughts, or formulating my own)

Something has got to be done about my exterior!

A veil seems impractical, though I could do one of those kinds that belly dancers wear. Wouldn't that be cool? It would hide skin blemishes, and I could really play up my eye makeup. I don't know how it would look with blue jeans.

Moses wore that veil for a while to hide the fading Glory. Remember? I wonder what sort of veil he wore? Was it embellished? Or was it like a sheet thrown over his head with eye slits cut out so he could see? It doesn't seem very manly.

God changes us from the inside. It is within one's heart that the fruits of the Spirit well up. I am only just considering that perhaps it is my responsibility to monitor the way that these virtues may show upon my features.

When others look upon a Christian, they should see a vivid portrayal of tenderness and love. Even, compassion. Ugh. Shouldn't there be strength and confidence, courage and truth emanating from the facade of one who represents Christ to the world?

I think that so many of the expressions on my face are self-protective walls which keep the world at a distance. Wouldn't I be more useful to others (and to God) if my exterior showed a vulnerability that allowed the inner work of the Holy Spirit to be viewed by those who have to do with me?

The work on my exterior needs to go way beyond my primping. Have patience with me!

7 comments:

Kelly said...

You don't need to be afraid of commenting, you know. Just don't shout a loud, "AMEN!" because then you'll hurt my feelings.

Mrs. Mac said...

AMEN! Hi Kelly ... thanks for popping up north to visit my blog today. We have some things in common ... home schooling, the Bible, Christianity, etc. I'm even considering starting my own 'home church' as I've just about given up connecting in a 'regular church' setting. Due to circumstances beyond my control ... and in the hands of God, he chose to bless our family with a special needs child that has quirky unsocial behavior that makes it nearly impossible to take him to church. Any input on home church would be appreciated :)

The Nester said...

Ok, we could so be great friends in real life!

Anonymous said...

I think we all suffer from that!
Join the club!

Kelly said...

Oh, Mrs Mac, home church is my favorite thing ever! My kids even beg to go there. I would be happy to lend whatever answers your questions may require.
Dear Nester, let's do be friends! If we don't meet this side of Heaven, you can help me decorate my mansion there. Ok?
Hi Jim! Are you overly expressive, too? Can we really have a club?

KJP said...

Being a flirt is fine. Heavens I am accused of that all of the time. I do not even know it when I am! I think I am just misunderstood greatly...

Being at vunerable for another is really hard when your trust has been broken. And if you give your trust it is so hard to not think on whether it was a mistake or not.

Yah, we have out struggles. Thank God He will over ride our instincts and make us of value to Him - if we allow Him.

Lose weight, gain in Spirit in 2008.....

Anonymous said...

You know I know you ! I know those expressions . Mostly the anoyed one . What I really would wan't to focus on is how those expressions can also light up a room .They also draw people out of their own shells . You have affected me with your expression and explanation of God and the bible in a most positive way .You see , your expression is a gift from the one who created you . What a wonderful God to have made you the way he did ! I surely am greatful and I know others are too . Just temper that gift or rather allow God to . Ouch , Iknow that hurts .
jd