Thursday, January 17, 2008

On Why I Homeschool

- A superior Education

-Close family bonds

-minimization of peer pressure

-Every event is an educational opportunity. Grocery shopping? Economics! Chores? Home Ec! Skiing? P.E.

-My children can sleep late. I can nap.

-I have readily accessible slave labor

-My children appreciate Bach and Beethoven

-They have read Tolkien, Lewis, and Shakespeare

-They've been exposed to Spanish, Latin, Sign Language, and proper English

-We never miss school because of sick days, snow days, nor teacher in-service days

-We totally miss school for skiing, spontaneous vacations, and mental health days

-But the #1 reason that I home educate? I really, really like my children. If there were more than 24 hours in a day? I would totally spend it with them.

4 comments:

KJP said...

Up in Germany they have declared war on the homeschoolers, using the courts to strip parental control away, etc. It is so sad.

The lastest court argument was that by allowing children to be homeschooled increases their exposure to their parents and hence, violence.

Of course, one needs only to think of school shootings, knifing, etc - which do occur in Europe to know your kids has a greater chance to live - given that argument.

It is most disturbing the tactics being used to force children into propaganda situations - else why would the "system" care how your child was being educated...

Robin said...

yeah for you! I can tell, you are one of those moms who actually TALKs to her kids like regular ppl, not in some fake high-pitch tone, or baby-talking down to them...you have real conversations with them! That is what it is to be a great mom! way to go!! Home schooled kids learn to have a strong backbone and dont get caught up in the peer-pressuse drama...keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

I really like your # 1 reason. Unfortunately, few kids have that kind of experience to ground them. Well Done!

Margie said...

wow! that's pretty cool. I don't think I would ever home school. I love my daughter, but I get a great education at school. And she gets a great education where she goes with life lessons from her mom, we do that grocery shopping economics thing too, but you ahve given me a great perspective.

Thank you.