Friday, February 22, 2008

And the world keeps right on spinning

You know how sometimes you write and erase, and write and erase? Because appropriate articulation is just lacking?
That would be now.
I had a weird experience tonight. I didn't do such a good job of expressing myself to someone with whom I was speaking earlier, so I am mulling it around in my brain to figure out how to better say what I mean.

Did you see the movie Walk the Line? It's the whole Jonny Cash story.
He decends into drug addiction.
There's this scene where his wife is losing it and yelling and crying, and he pins her to the floor in a fit of temper....when they both realize that the kids are standing there. The first time I saw that, in the theatre, I felt like my most private moment had been displayed on screen. Remember my diary on the mattress in the Meth lab? It was like that.
I cried in the produce section of Fred Meyer after the movie, because it welled up, and I felt it all again. (I'm not really a crier)

So tonight, I was in the local homeless shelter.
(What? You don't go there on Friday nights? Perplexing.)
It was a volunteer opportunity. There were several of us.
Anyway...
My husband used to be a regular there. You know, after he grew up to be a drug addict, he ended up living on the streets. We used to pick him up, and buy him a burger sometimes. One time we bought him shoes, because his had been stolen.
He didn't shower very often in those days. My kids remember.

Tonight, M' and I were helping to serve dinner to these guys who smelled like alcohol. They were hungry, and desperation was in their eyes. (They also had cell phones, which was odd.) Every man there was my husband.
Did they have families somewhere who were needing them?
What had they walked away from to be there?
I was shell-shocked.
The world retreated in a moment and the sounds were crystal clear, but distant. Sharp and hazy at the same time. I wanted to go and think somewhere. Cry, maybe.
"How ya doin' tonight? Are you hungry?" I asked as I slopped more tater-tots on a plate.
I was there with a friend who was chatting merrily, as though this was the very most normal thing on the planet. She was happy, and beautiful, and comfortable as can be. Her words were a hummmmm.
And my ex-brother-in-law walked by.
"How ya doin"? How ya been?" What do you say when you see someone you know at the local homeless shelter?
"I'm between jobs right now," He told me. Apparently so.

Past meets Present.

My life right now is good, you know? I love my little life. Those moments that wisk me into memory are shocking. It's like I somehow forgot that my life was all tangled with a homeless drug addict. That I lived that.
I think it's important.
I don't want to forget. I don't want to get used to those experiences, as if that was my life, and it's not big deal.
It was a big deal.
It is a big deal.
It matters.
And the feelings are big. I never want them to diminish.
I want to embrace the power of that, and be made effective.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking more about this after we talked last night and I think we all have those memories from our past that we try to hold at a distance. And then sometimes, without actually realizing what's happening, they creep in slowly and surprise you. And you wonder what in the world to do with them. They don't fit now and they shouldn't have fit back then. It's kind of like the world stops spinning and your caught in this fog. Very confusing. Everything should have a place, you know, fit into our box, but this just doesn't fit, and then you're left wondering what to do next.

kara

Fianna said...

Reading your posts about your past bring such a flood of emotion forth from me. Things that were just everyday matters, things you just accepted. How could they ever have become an acceptable thing?

The person I was then is a complete stranger to me. I just wish the memories wouldn't be so real. However, as you say, they need to be there, they need to be jolting, so I never go back to thinking that is an acceptable life.

Thanks for sharing.

Cathy said...

You are an amazing woman.

And I love you.

You really should write a memoir. Have you read "The Glass Castle"? It's an amazing memoir where every page you just can hardly believe the author actually lived what is written.

I think your memoir could be the same kind of page-turner. Where you're horrified and amazed at the same time - except yours would include God - and how He carried you through all the awful to the life you have today.

Did I already say I love you?

'Cause I do.

Kelly said...

Hi everyone.
Yeah, I am almost enjoying exploring these disjointed parts of my life. It seems so surreal.
These fragments of tragedy are important, and I think they should shape who we are. They can make us beautiful and useful!
And yes, I am working on the whole book idea. I have two in process. We'll see if I ever really get published. But just thinking thru these things in order to put them on paper makes me think about them from a more intense perspective. It's good for me, I think.
And I love you, too, Cathy.

Anonymous said...

this is beautiful...