Thursday, February 28, 2008

Fickle

Today is my day, and I am determined that it shall be a good one. Because, honestly, why bother having a day at all, if it is not going to make you happy? If you set out to have a bad day, you should just go right back to your bed and pull the sheets over your ever-loving head.

Last night I read an entire book.
It was about this single mom who had been abandoned, and she was totally judged for being a divorcee, and how her son only wanted the approval of his lousy dad, and how she slaved to put him through college, and he pretty much never appreciated her until after she died. By midnight, I was pretty much suicidal.
Mornings are good for me, though. I always seem to wake up all happy and stuff. This morning I was reading about David dancing before the Ark of the Lord, and then I read about Job for a while. Plus, I took a closer look at all the things from that novel that cut into my heart, and here is what I decided:
Life is full of real bad stuff. For you and I, we get to decided what we do with that stuff. I am going to rejoice. You?
Seriously.
I want to be able to look at the situations in which I find myself. To look at them square and steady. If they're really awful, then they're awful. Let's call it what it is.
I want to always be realistic so that my response springs from a true understanding of things. Then, if I chose Joy, it's because there's really joy to be found, and not because I am flippant.
God is Good, right?
My situation is anything but awful. I live a totally charmed life. How many single moms do you know who can say that? We are blessed beyond measure!
So, then, you see why I am off to have a good day.
You have a good day, too!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I do not have a bad day how do I know what a really good day feels like?
J

Kelly said...

My day got worse.
The good news is that I have more to be thankful for than to fret about.
As Scarlett said, "Tomorrow is another day!"

Anonymous said...

Scott says in response to me saying "Have a good day!" "That's a lot of pressure don't you think?" Never thought of it that way, but I suppose that could be true.
Kris