Friday, March 07, 2008

Stripping

I have betrayed you most horrifically. You see, there was this incredibly blogable photo opportunity, and I was too lazy to seize the moment. And now you will not see the images which would so compliment this story.
It's all about M' and his hair color. That boy takes after his mother in the hair color department.
He went black not too long ago, remember? I am kind of a cool mom in this regard. And just this week he decided that the light colored roots were not attractive, and he wanted to go back to his normal color.
There's no going back. I thought we discussed this.
So, Jenine the wise, who is also Jenine-the-cosmetologist, and also Jenine-the-exceedingly-patient accepted the challenge.
She applied some bleach to M's hair on Thursday. Nothing happened.
She came over yesterday to more vigorously apply herself to the problem. She applied this stripping stuff that professionals use, and it stripped out a bunch of the color, though not at the tips. The result being that he had alarmingly light roots and black tips. Sort of an exaggeration of the original issue.
We contemplated a dramatic trim.
Jenine applied the stuff again, to the ends of his hair, and a better result was achieved.
Then, she had to bleach him.
His hair was an unnatural color after this. A sort of fluorescent orange. Very comical! Why was he not laughing?
The next step was a light brown dye, intended to disguise the glow until such time as more bleach could be applied.
Jenine is a patient, immensely talented soul, who faithfully corrects all of the hair color mistakes I make. She devoted herself for the entire afternoon, and a part of the evening to this! She is a saint.
I will never use cheap black permanent dye again.
I will never use cheap black permanent dye again.
I will never use cheap black permanent dye again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That brings back good memories. My sister is a cosmetologist, and would practice on me endlessly...all kinds of concoctions.

I think I'm still traumatized!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelly,
Home is Abbotsford, British Columbia. It is right on the border with Washington. We are about 2 1/2 hours from Seattle.

Leana