Thursday, March 06, 2008

Borrowing from a tiny book

Another exquisite morning seems to have presented itself.
Another pot of marginal coffee seems to have been consumed.
Another adventure seems to have arrived.

I was reading a booklet yesterday.
It is called a booklet because it is a very brief book.
Diminutive, even.
Tiny.
A book-ita.

It's by the author of Captivating, and really just an abbreviation of that topic, though in this one she is shaping her topic specifically to mothers. She calls it You Are Captivating.
You should read the main book if you haven't already. I'll put it on my "must read" list.
She points out that there are 3 things that a woman really wants, deep down it her heart-of-hearts.
Chocolate is not on that list. Who knew?
The author, Staci Eldredge, says that we want to be beautiful, to be in a grand adventure, and to be romanced. I think she may be right.

These things really resonate with me.

The beauty that she talks about is way more than make up and a prom dress, though those are nice too. It's beauty like a sunset, the sort of beauty that has power. A deep and abiding beauty that changes those around us, and gains appreciation for it's strength. I want that. I want those I interact with, to recognize that in me, and to be better because of it.

The Grand adventure is a no brainer for me. This life, with the God of Creation, is nothing short of a wind-in-your-face, crest-of-a-wave, hurtling through the most breathtaking story in the universe. That appeals to me. I want my story to be one worth telling. A story of biblical proportions!

And the romance... It's the wish we have as women to be pursued. Rather, to be worth pursuing. To be won, treasured, delighted in. You and I like the hero of our story to be that handsome prince. However, there is something deeper in our desire for romance that can only be met by our Maker. That God Himself values me, and pursues me, and has died to win my hand, is very romantic indeed.

In thinking about these things as factors in my own little self, I guess I'm inspired.
Aren't you?
Can't you just live differently with the knowledge that the desires of your heart are not only definable, but also attainable?
Do this today:
Live like you are in an important Adventure, with a key role to play.
Like you have a Beauty that those around you actually need.
And like God Eternal desires you more than words can say.

5 comments:

Halfmoon Girl said...

THIS is a beautiful post- loved it! Thank you!

KJP said...

Hmmmm, I still think chocolate is still an important aspect of romance. At least you still have something when she rejects you and your chocolates. So buy good ones!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you're reading this!

Anonymous said...

My doula gave this book-ita to me when I gave birth to Owyn. I liked it a lot too! I'm glad that you've enjoyed it. Your cousin, J

Peach said...

LOVED this book! Hmmm left it with a friend in Idaho......hmm did you borrow a book?????? hee hee