Wednesday, April 02, 2008

The Bride of Christ

What counts as "church"?
My uncle, whom I respect, says that any meeting of the saints is church. So, if you and I meet for a glass of wine and talk about the Lord, we've done church. Which is great. We should do that.

If that's church, then I do a lot of church. I wonder if there's a gluttonous quality to it. If I did nothing but study Scripture all day every day, I would be neglecting my responsibilities, and the constant study of God would get in the way of actually obeying Him.
So, too, if I go to church all the time.
We've been going on Sunday mornings more, and there's Sunday night also. I've got this Tuesday night class on Ecclesiastes. When is it too much? Awana, Youth group, Women's Study....we could be doing church every night of the week. But, is that the right thing to do? I rather suspect not.
You and I are told not to "neglect meeting together, as is the habit of some," and that's about as close to a command to church as I can see.
The Old Testament tells us that God wants His people to gather for worship.
The New Testament talks about a number of things relating to the "church." It's purpose, and how to behave there, and so forth.
I guess I am mulling this over for a few reasons.
The house church is one. Some of us attend as our meeting together for the week, our "church." Some call it "bible study" or "home group," and attend a traditional church. But does it matter? Which is correct?
This addresses the headcovering thing for me, too. I am not going to argue that point; I am concerned with my own application. Do I need to cover my head at Tuesday night class because we're studying the bible as a group? Do I have to cover my head at bible study? Can I call house church something like "dinner at Kara's" so I don't have to cover my head? Ah, semantics!
I go through this from time to time. Frankly, I am irritated with the inconvenience of wearing something on my head every time I head off to worship. That shows something kind of ugly in my heart, huh? I find myself looking for the bare minimum, so I can strictly obey. Shouldn't I rather be thrilled to worship my God as He loves to be worshiped?
What about speaking up at Bible study? Here's that question of women being "silent in the churches." If we're at Lisa's house, do I have to be silent? Because I'm not. At a traditional church I don't talk, except to whomever is sitting right next to me,. Of course, that's not silent, is it?
Sometimes I feel like I have to fight my flesh every step of the way.
I was reading this morning in Romans about how I am supposed to live as "dead to sin." But there's is so much of that alive in me. Why?
I want to be a lovely, worshipful, obedient woman. Strong and pleasing to God. Even that desire springs from issues of pride in me. I am pretty much hopeless.
And my question "What is church"? Is that so I can know when the requirement is met, so I can check it off my list? Or just so I can look for loopholes?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember last night we learned in 1 Kings that Solomon was dictating how he should worship God, you know the whole high places thing, and it was only after he asked for wisdom that we see him worshiping God on God's terms, in the temple. God wants you to come to Him on His terms, not your own. So what I'm saying is maybe you should ask for wisdom. God has a way of answering prayers for wisdom. :)

Anonymous said...

p.s I LOVE the notebook it makes me very happy every time I look at it!

p.p.s I want to see your vacation pictures...tonight, maybe?

k

Kelly said...

Yes, last night's class got me to thinking more about this because of just that! I guess I'll have to pray for wisdom.
And maybe I'll ask to fly, while I'm at it. Don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, we can make this loving God thing so complicated, can't we?

The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

I pray He reveals to you just how much He loves you, and washes all of this worry away.

Peace to you Sister.

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
A house church was started in Eagle, Idaho about 12 1/2 years ago. There were 7 people in the group, started by a young man named Steve Crane. Steve is the son of a pastor. It grew. Just this year, the church was attended by 3700 people over 5 services for Easter weekend. The church is know as Eagle Christian Church.
Hopefully, those attending will come to know Jesus, if they don't already. So, keep going and keep growing.
Dad

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your post. You raise interesting questions.

I thought I might offer some "food for thought" on the some of the subjects you raised. Maybe this will give you some ideas for finding your own answers.

I just discovered your blog by searching for others with an interest in the Bible, so I do not know if you have previously posted on the subject of head coverings, but I think the command given by Paul is in the context of hair length (1 Corinthians 11:15). A woman's head is covered as long as she has long hair.

Nevertheless, if you have any doubts about this, it is better for you to play it safe and use a head covering than to violate your conscience in this matter (Romans 14:22-23), and no one should try to pressure you to do something you do not feel comfortable doing.

In the matter of the "church", the word can be used in different ways to mean different things, depending on the context. I think the original Greek word just means a gathering or assembly. But in the context of Christianity, I have been taught that it is the collective body of everyone who has God's Holy Spirit within them (Romans 8:9).

Robin said...

I love love love these questions!
I *think* church is so much more open and not contained than I used to think. It is "where two or more are gathered in MY name", is is the bride of Christ, all the people who love the Lord, is is receiving refreshment wheather at a large or small gathering, and it is giving love and service to others in the body and calling to those outside the body to come know the One we love.
Great stuff Kelly, love it.
hugs to you~

Kelly said...

Good input! Thank you for all this insight. It's sure worth thinking about. God seems to have given me more questions than answers. All I can figure is that He wants to keep me in close conversation.