Well, there's nothing like an evening in the ER for bringing a family together, I always say.
Ok, it wasn't the ER. It was the minor emergency place down the street.
My poor son nearly lost a limb in Lacrosse practice last night. Violent sport! Teenage aggression!
He was running along, minding his own stick, when something went "pop" in his hip. He lost full range of motion. The boy was in pain. Pain, I tell you! He is no wimp. I could see enormous strain on his face. He was terse, and tried very hard to remain stoic.
After a brief evaluation, we set off for the Doc-in-the-box. And do Doctors know everything? They do not. The educated man tormented M' by manipulating that leg. Then they X-rayed. "Yeah... I don't know," the brilliant doctor said, " Joints are really difficult. It sure doesn't look like any thing's broken in there. Maybe he strained something? Stay off it until it feels better. Do you need crutches?"
That's it?
That was it.
I could totally do that. Next time your kid is injured, you just come on over. I'll allow you to write me a big ol' check, you can sit in the living room for a couple hours, and then I'll advise a bit of Advil.
Which brings me to the next thought de jour. It's not remotely related.
Today I begin a class.
Kara said that I should get a shiny new notebook for my class. Isn't that fun? It's about God and Philosophy, from Ecclesiastes. Doesn't that sound stimulating? I am going to be a student. Of a teacher. In a class. With other Grownups.
And also, I need a raise.
Did you know that timing belts, within the engine of your car, don't last forever? Go figure. Grandpa gave me a bit of an education on that. For a mere Thousand dollars (give or take), one can rest in relative safety for another 90 thousand miles.
I was thinking of all I could spend money on.
Besides the car, the yard needs some intent and deliberate financial attention. Also, my children. They need clothing and a new Lacrosse stick on account of the broken one from last night (was that on your X-ray, doc?). And me. How am I expected to live another day without new paint and a stack of fabric? Fie!
See? Becoming a Minor Emergency Advil Advisor sounds like a savvy career move.
The good news is that I am remarkably happy for someone who ate dinner with two cranky children at 10 pm. Joy is directly related to coffee consumption. And the work of the Holy Spirit. God is Good. I really mean that. With all of the swirling circumstances around here, the one constant is the Presence and Provision of a Creator Who Adores us. We have this steady assurance that upholds us, and even elevates us, above the uncertainty around us. God be Praised!
4 comments:
Joy is directly related to coffee consumption. And the work of the Holy Spirit.
LOL! Yes, it is! Love that.
and trust me on the timing belt, neglected one too long once and it cost twice as much to re-build the engine than it would have to just replace the belt. yea.
I hate unproductive doctor visits. If I'm going to spend the money to go to the doctor, I really want him to DO something. And make everything right. Inconclusive is one things doctors should not be allowed to be.
Happy Tuesday, friend.
The last time I went to a Doc in the Box, they totally missed three completely broken ribs.
Went back several weeks later, I think I have broken ribs...oh, we'd have found those!
Right... I missed my career as well.
Hope your boy is doing better.
Post a Comment