Well, howdy.
I painted my nails this morning because I am going swimsuit shopping soon. Every little bit helps. It's a part of summer, you know, the swimsuit thing.
Land's End is my favorite place to shop for swimwear. You get to go online and design your own virtual self, and try swimwear on that self. It's much less despair provoking than facing one's self in florescent light and full length mirrors.
My stretch marks glow in florescent lighting. There are stretch marks from my knees to my neck (I apologize to my male readers, I know that's a horrifying image.) But, there you have it.
This weekend I painted. Nothing new, really, just plugging away at the various unfinished projects.
Do any of you know how to parent a teenager? Because, I was wondering about that. Discipline causes withdrawal. Cracking the whip seems to make him move slower, rather than faster. He morphed into a lazy, moody, freak of nature overnight. How is that possible? You have never in your whole life seen a less satisfied creature. His mother is mean. His life is intolerable. How can anyone expect him to wear those clothes? Those are yesterday's clothes. He is abused and neglected because his mother will not finance his various whims. Poor lad.
I presented the shocking idea that Lacrosse is a privilege to be earned, and not his divine right. Lacrosse practice? At Mean Mother's discretion. That means: earn it, or stay home. No, the team doesn't need you. Get over it.
The CD player? Oh, you mean this CD player? It is not yours, it is mine. It is all mine. If I don't see hard work and respect, then I will not allow you to use what is mine.
Do you see what he has to put up with?
O, the severity. The injustice!
And this is my life in a nutshell. Today, I shall attempt to pay bills. Clean something. Educate America's youth. Abuse my teenager.
Sounds fun. So glad I got out of bed.
(This added for clarification: My teenager is a fantastic human being, and a delightful young man. Please don't let my bloggerly ramblings imply otherwise. I find him to be different, and more challenging as he gets older. He is a very, very good kid. Funny, smart, interesting, insightful AND a bit lazy and moody. Both sides of him are true. Parenting is different not because he has suddenly become bad, but because he has suddenly grown.)
6 comments:
I kinda was waiting for this one... for 2 years you have looked at me with a blank, nice smile that says "my child will never. yours, ok, but mine...never" welcome to the club, just wait till there is two!!! the joy...on the other hand, it allows you to explore your more creative parenting side... like removing the door to the bedroom when they slam it :O
Did I do that, Lynda? Shame on me!
What is with the spamming lately? Spam is evil. That's why I keep deleting comments...
Oh boy, if I didnt want to hug you before I certainly do now! My oldest is 18, and OH the strange adjustments we are having to make. He got a letter from uncle sam yesterday stating "Our records indicate you are a man who must register with selective service..."
I freaked at the word 'man'. I seriously just wanted to sit on the couch with my lip sticking out pouting. My son is considered a man. wow. Please inform HIM of this fact- esp. when he is giving me grief because I simply asked him to drive 2 miles and fetch some milk.
This whole watching our kids grow up and letting them go thing is just the best, most heart wrenching, exhausting but wonderful thing isnt it?!
And to think, they may someday be some woman's husband and some teenage boy or girl's Daddy!
And then a grandpa!
Post a Comment