Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Various Musings

Patsy was wondering if perhaps I am in a bit of a funk. It's more that I have a lethal head cold, and oodles going on. Life is best for me if I sleep much, and have lots of quiet time.
Lately? Not so much.
We have my normal work schedule, but which I mean parenting several additional children. We have school. And we have an outrageous abundance of extracurricular activities. Lacrosse, guitar, band practice, youth group, my class on Ecclesiastes, house church, occasional regular church, baseball, and blogging.
In case you were wondering, yes, I switched back to regular coffee.

In other news:

I was reading in Romans about how we are to leave vengeance to God, and let Him repay our enemies. That's a hard one, because He doesn't always smash them, the way I want Him to. God seems to get a kick out of converting enemies to friends. There's not a real big line of folks in my "enemies" category. But there's a few people I'd like to see schooled a bit.
Allowing God to do His job there, means that I stand back and don't get in the way. I am no holy agent of His wrath.
And I mustn't simmer.
"Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." See? He knows my propensity for surrendering to the influence of evil, and He warns me not to be overcome. Drown 'em in goodness. Heap those burning coals. Turn the other cheek.
I know why. It's because I get so mixed up with dispensing "justice" that I am tainted in my soul. I get twisted by desire for revenge, and end up hurting myself.
I can go from holy to evil in two seconds, flat. You?
And this is not what I want.
I find, as the years go by, that I am not so impressed with myself as I once was. There's a lot of rough edges. Lots of sinful default settings in my repertoire. It's rather disappointing.
You'd think that the years would bring a radiance. That sort of gentle wisdom that makes for such loveliness. Alas. 'Twould seem that God has a bit more gunk to skim off the top of my persoanlity before I attain such a lofty beauty. There's really no shortcuts, either. One must plow on through and allow Him to remove the ugly in His time. And keep moving forward.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

I think the gunk and the willingness to be honest about it is what makes a person lovely. It's the people who pretend to have it all together who make me wonder why they would need God at all... when we're willing to be real about our rough edges, then we shine the beauty of God's grace to all.

You are radiant, dear.

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth from way over here, you look awfully shiny...

Kelly said...

Shiny? Is that like "radiant" with less powder?

Hi Cathy. My very dear friend.I am glad to see you here.