Monday, January 14, 2008

Meekness

I have heard the word "meekness" defined, as "strength under control." Even though I've heard that, I don't guess I've ever really seen a graphic example of it. Mostly I see strong men who are really nice guys and I think that qualifies. Perhaps it does.
However, I saw "meekness" last night, and it was Dang Impressive.
My friend's husband is a man of action. He is absolutely an amazing martial artist. He is the sort of man that gets things done. Make him mad, and he'd just as soon punch you. Make him glad, and he will serve you in some functional, tangible way. He's intense. He's strong. He has a temper. He has an equal sense of loyalty. He loves fully.
Well, I saw this guy do something powerful, and I struggle to find the words to adequately describe the impression it made upon me.
See, he doesn't back down from a fight. Never has in his life. When I tell you that he is intense and strong and powerful, I am not just using pretty words. This man is tough.
I saw him consider a battle and confront it with prayer. He had that dangerous flame in his eye, the kind that makes you want to never make him angry, and he prayed for the glory of God.
The beauty and power of that awed me.
And it gave me strength.
It was an example to me of our God Whose Power is total. He could send a shock wave through the ages to annihilate His foes, yet He has chosen to tenderly love me.
Meekness.
Incredible Strength rendered yet more powerful by submission to Almighty God.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was also impressed by his prayer. What an awesome God we have and what an awesome example our friend is to us. Thank you again for putting into words what is so apparent and yet so hard to explain. Kris

Fianna said...

What a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing such a splendid example.

Anonymous said...

Well said, and all true. I love this man! (i can say that 'cause I'm married to him) I think it's really exciting to see that God can use your situation to work in someone's else's life. I love watching God work and seeing those that I love grow closer to Him. I can't wait to see what happens next!

kara

KJP said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KJP said...

Mine was the deleted one above. I found a video that was better.....

My dutchman's youngest son sent this to me last night. Never heard of the guy and his videos are horribly violent, but this one was humorous....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3K-mrlYG7Y

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful example of what God can do. the coolest part is probably that S. has great humility too. (hi kara!)
~paj

The Nester said...

That was like reading a novel and he was the hero. Can you please write about me like that?

Anonymous said...

He is fell and fair . What an amazing sign of the holy spirit working in our dear friend !
sorry I missed it !
Jenine

Yvonne said...

Hi Kelly,
It's called prayer. I've prayed for this man since hmmm--- he was a few months old! God is so good.
But, I'm thinking S may not be so real pleased with his being topic of the day!! Although he is also a good sport! And we are blessed to know him.

Kelly said...

Yvonne, I asked permission before publishing the blog about him. True, it was Kara I asked of, but I figured she'd know if it was ok.

It's so good of you all to come by! How nice to see you all here.