Tuesday, February 19, 2008

No personality at all

Mother used to tell me that I must be comfortable when alone with my thoughts. She taught me that a person who couldn't stand their own quiet company was not a person at peace.

That advice has served me very well.

I find my ability to be still and quiet is a fabulous barometer of my inner condition. Sometimes, just to keep my finger on the pulse in myself, I sit and do nothing but think. Very. still. TV doesn't count, by the way. Neither does music. I sit in a silent place and....be. Sometimes my mind wanders. Sometimes I think about what's before me. Sometimes I end up drifting off to sleep. The important part of the excercise is stillness and contemplation.
This is when compromise can announce itself to my concienceness.
Or when nagging sins make me restless.
But, even more importantly, this is when my mind can rest.
What is the texture of silence? The color? The sound? The size? Feel it's fullness.
You may think that your mind will shrink under the weight of it, but that just isn't true! Your mind expands. You can finally hear. Feel. See.

Music doesn't totally rest my mind. It can prepare me to rest, but that's not the same thing. ( And when you put on music that you love...really listen to it. Hear the notes and the swells and the language. Let the words come into you and change you. This is the way to hear music. Do not let it be consigned to background noise!)
TV is useless, in my opinion. You are not resting your mind when you are watching that innane drivel. Don't even argue with me on this point, I can't abide it. Throw the blasted thing away.

You go sit on your bed, when your room is all clean of clutter, and think. Just Be.
Or sit on a hillside with the persperation on your brow, and the wind in your ears. After you've done that for an hour, then you tell me that American Idol is a rest and a benefit to you. I will so call you a liar to your face.

When I find that I have avoided my own company for a while, I see a serious red flag. When I try to sit, but I'm too restless to be still, I know there's trouble.
There's no help for it, but to face into the fray and confont the tempest. For tempest it is. Your mind is bound and held captive by business and noise. Be free. Be honest in the privacy of you. Beauty and expanding silence will create in you a far greater capsule for solitude, and the truest effectiveness that you have ever known.

Funny for an extrovert, no?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not funny, wise counsel. This is what I am missing, what I am seeking, trying to integrate, starving for. This is my favorite post of all, the most important one...

Thank you

Cathy said...

Good stuff, Kel. I LOVE my alone time. The quiet. The time to think and process and listen. I find myself feeling a little crazy without it.

But I still love American Idol.