Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A New Easter Dress

It. Is. Alive!
I am still so tired that I amped up the coffee this morning. The whole haff caff thing is an attempt to drink less caffeine while drinking more coffee. I was over a pot a day for a while there, and that can't really be good for me. Today? Full Caff.

I am wondering if I can justify the expense of a new Easter dress. Remember when every little girl got a new Easter dress? I am perhaps the only person on the planet who loves to wear a dress with a hat and gloves. Dresses are hard to find, to say nothing of hats.
All the dresses that I see in stores look like polyester maternity smocks in vivid prints from the '60's. Is that pretty? Not so much.
Maybe it's time to rebel against fashion, and start making my own clothes. Did you see The Village? That's what I would do. Or better yet, Scarlett O'Hara. Only with more make-up.
I made my own bloomers once. They are full length, cotton eyelet, with slender blue ribbon around the ruffle at the bottom.
Yes, in case you are wondering. I have worn them.

God didn't give me girls, and I can't figure that out. It just seems like that would have been a brilliant outlet for my frilly tea-party self. The boys won't let me dress them anymore. For some reason. Perplexing, no?
It's no wonder they've turned into gun wielding, camo wearing, back-slapping sorts. They're like the ying to my yang, or whatever.

M' has his first Lacrosse game tomorrow night. He's very impressed with his own "mad skills." As in, "Mom, did you see my mad skills?" What I saw was a bunch of boys running with sticks, clobbering one another, and grunting. Are those your mad skills?

Boys are different from girls. Have you noticed?

They are not so concerned about things like showers. They are very concerned with how tough they are. How strong. How many Big Macs they can eat.
I doubt they want their tie to match my dress for Easter. Tie? I don't think they'll wear one willingly.

We've never really done Easter egg hunts. Instead, ever since the boys were little, I have done a scavenger hunt. First thing in the morning, they are handed a 3x5 card with a clue on it. When they were little, it was a picture, but now I can use words. That sends them to the next location, where they find a new clue. So it goes until they find their baskets, or buckets, full of stuff. Along the way, I leave little candies or toys. It's really fun!
M' was telling me that he's too old for that this year. I don't believe him. I am going to do it anyway.
What are your family traditions for Easter?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boys are COOL! I was reminded how much I love boys last night while, once again, pulling out the old home movies of my sister and I. How did my parents put up with all that silliness? Not to mention the singing and dancing, no, Boys are VERY cool! I love my boys, and yours! :)

k

Jenn said...

Kelly, I believe that the boys would be the yang to your yin.

I read your blog and tremble at the thought that in about 10 years' time I will be living the boy-full life.

I believe that in my house there will be a rule that each family member must bathe at least once daily or suffer my wrath (no dinner). We'll see how my conviction stick over time.

Denise said...

Amen, girl. Boys are so different from girls. I laugh when my son developed "boyish" behavior without really being around a man when he was younger. Now he's all boy at 15. God knew what he was doing.

Keep blogging away!

Marie said...

Our traditions are the typical ones- color Easter eggs and hunt for them! This year my daughter birthday is on Easter, so I have a challenge on how to "separate" the day.I LOVE the scavenger hunt idea!