I was thinking about purity, which is something of an anomaly. Usually I get to the topic by a rather circuitous route.
Purity transcends action. As a matter of fact, it is an issue whether you are single or married.
Do you know, I can be abstinent without being pure? You can be quite married without being pure, for that matter.
God wants purity from you and I. It's a funny thing to aim at. I don't go there readily by prohibitions. In truth, I don't stay long there by self discipline. How does one set about to maintain such a life?
The only thing that works for me is awe and love... and fear. I am awed by Who my God is, and I am very mindful that my sin would cause Him grief. I love Him. His love for me is far more intimate, and more intoxicating than a moment's thrill would be. When I project myself into the future consequences of any illicit liaison, I am dreadfully fearful of that. (Mother says that fear is often underrated; I think she's right.)
My sons and I were talking about the difficulty of purity. They were a bit impressed when they realized that my husband left when I was 29. That means, I told them, that I know well the struggle to stay pure. I know the cost. It is a difficult thing to fight for, sometimes. I am not a silly driveling parent who tells them to keep their pants on, from the arms of my loving husband. When I tell them that they need to abstain, I say it with some determination, and very little ease.
And I mean what I say.
I am no prude. But I know that no beauty is to be had outside of God's Plan. And I will have beauty, or nothing at all.
Married or single, purity is worth the cost. It is worth the fight. It is worth it.
3 comments:
...not that you are a driviling parent if you are all happily married. Sorry for implying that.
You are lucky, though.
Amen to your post!
It is so hard to get kids these days to understand that purity is not some antiquated idea - but something that God designed for a reason.
All they have to do is open their eyes to see the results of not living this way. Pregnant friends in high school (or even junior high!), friends with STDs that have no cure, and of course having a friend or two die from HIV/AIDS helps to raise the understanding that NO one is the exception!
Two of mine learned the hard way, two were smart enough to learn from the others...
sigh.......
kjp
Major hugs from me to you for this post! You're an awesome rare woman of God in this world we live in-sounds like you're buckin' to hear "well done good and faithful servant."
I printed what you wrote to share with someone struggling in this area -great stuff. May God bless you big time with His intimate love!
Post a Comment